My Publications

Login to My Publications

My Publications automates the collection of traditional research outputs. If you're a La Trobe researcher, My Publications will use your name, affiliation and researcher identifier (e.g. SCOPUS id), to automatically and continuously search electronic databases to bring in your publications.

This record of research outputs is used by La Trobe for Excellence in Research Australia (ERA), the Academic Workload Planning (AWP) and several other internal and external reporting requirements. Research outputs include journal, conference and book publications, government reports, creative works, exhibitions and audio-visual recordings.

As a La Trobe researcher or higher degree by research student, you should login to My Publications when you publish items to ensure:

  • all authored and co-authored works are claimed
  • any publications that are not yours are rejected
  • you add any missing publications or creative works
  • you submit the accepted versions of your research outputs to La Trobe's institutional repository OPAL.

My Publications Guide [PDF 856KB]

While the Library has responsibility for coordinating the collection of research publication data through the My Publications system, the Research Office is responsible for all reporting by department, research centre or college and government submissions.

For assistance or for more details, please use our research query form and someone from the Library Research Support team will respond.

Frequently asked questions

What data is collected in My Publications?

All eligible research outputs including: books, book chapters, journal articles, conference proceedings, research reports for an external body, original creative works and exhibitions. Staff and higher degree research students are included.

What login should I use to access My Publications?

Use your regular LTU username and password. If you have trouble logging in, please contact the team by using the research query form.

Where can I find more information about FoR codes?

Fields of Research (FoRs) are defined by the Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC) 2020, which categorises research according to common knowledge domains and/or methodologies used in research.

For more information about FoR classification please consult the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

Who claims the publication of a co-authored paper?

All La Trobe University authors and co-authors must claim their own publications regardless of the number of authors.

I have entered a variation of my name, so why are there no publications showing?

The My Publications system can take up to 24 hours to run a harvest after entering in a name change. Please be patient and check again the following day. If there are still no publications, it may be that there are no La Trobe affiliated publications under that form of your name for the collection period, or they are not represented in the harvested databases. You may need to enter these manually.

Why should HDR students get involved in the publications data collection?

Your work will achieve more recognition and your research outputs will count for the University’s annual research publication data collection.

If you're both a HDR student and a La Trobe employee, your research output can also help La Trobe achieve another outstanding result in the next Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).

If you have a staff account and a student account, you should login with your staff credentials.

What is a "non-traditional research output" (NTRO) and what evidence is collected for NTROs?

Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) defines NTROs as: original creative works; live performance of creative works; recorded/rendered creative works; curated or produced substantial public exhibitions and events; research reports for an external body.

My Publications NTRO Guide [PDF 1.52MB]

To verify the research output, we'll need evidence of your work in the most appropriate form possible. This might be a recording of a dance, scan of an exhibition catalogue, photo of a sculpture or a combination of types. If the evidence is a DVD, the Library will convert it to digital format for storage and accessibility. If the evidence is a URL, an archived copy with be kept in perpetuity. Submit your work to

What about reports which are not allowed to be made public?

Reports or other outputs which are sensitive in nature and which are submitted as part of the Annual Collection or ERA, will be made restricted. This means that your publication will not be made publicly available.

Contact or use the research query form if you have any questions about the process or the security of the report.

What do I need to know about Research Statements?

My Publications requires Research Statements for all NTROs. Please refer to the Research Statement Guide. You can find this via the "?" adjacent to the 'Research Statement' field in the My Publications manual submission window.

Research Statements for NTRO [PDF  485KB]

I don't understand the academic workload planning scheme (AWPS)

Please contact your supervisor or Head of Department for further information.

See also: