Annual Water Consumption
The Annual Water Consumption graph highlights that municipal water consumption, which represents the major water source, peaked in 2015 and has been decreasing since. Metering of surface water use was implemented in 2016. Rainwater collected is estimated because rainwater consumption is not currently metered.
How does our water get used?
- Municipal Water Supply (78%) - water that comes from outside of the campus grounds
- Surface Water (20%)- water that is used from the moat at the Melbourne Campus
- Rainwater Collection (1%) - water that is collected in rainwater tanks and used at most campuses for watering gardens and flushing toilets
- Recycled Water (1%) - we use recycled water at our Albury-Wodonga Campus to water gardens
Help us reduce water usage at La Trobe
- Report water leaks to Infrastructure and Operations
- Do not pollute waterways by littering the University grounds or moat
- Use water fountains to refill, stay hydrated, reduce waste and save money
What can you do at home?
- Have shorter showers and install a water-efficient shower head
- Turn off taps when brushing your teeth or washing dishes
- Buy water-efficient appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers
- Capture and utilise rainwater at home
Find out what more you can do at home at Smart Water Advice.