Learning Hub services
The Learning Hub is the place to develop and extend skills, for every student, at every level through workshops, drop-ins and consultations.
These programs offer a range of activities to assist you with your learning and studying during the semester.
Drop-in learning support with Peer Learning Advisers (PLAs)
PLAs (Peer Learning Advisers) are high performing students who have been carefully selected to help you with your study and assignments. They are friendly and eager for you to drop-in and ask them about:
- planning & writing assignments
- presenting to others
- managing your time.
PLAs are from many different discipline areas, for example, Health Sciences, Education, and Pharmacy.
You can drop in to see a PLA via Zoom at these times during semester 2.
Other Learning Hub Support - Academic Skills, Academic English, Maths, Science and Coding Hubs
In addition to the PLA service, The Learning Hub has expert staff available to help you develop your academic writing, study skills and academic English language skills. Book an appointment here
The Maths Hub provides mathematics and statistics online resources and Zoom support from expert tutors. Find out more about the Maths Hub
The Science Hub supports students with science subjects through online resources and expert tutors. Find out more about the Science Hub
The Coding Hub has expert tutors available to develop your skills in Python, Java, C/C++ and Database. Find out more about the Coding Hub
Learning Hub Workshops
The Learning Hub teaches workshops to develop study skills such as time management, assignment writing and exam preparation. View Semester 2 program details.
In-subject study skills and English language workshops
Some subjects offer workshops to develop skills for assignments. Your lecturer will tell you about any study skills, writing or English language workshops available in your subject.
One Step Ahead
Whether you are a recent VCE student or returning to study after a break, the One Step Ahead Program will give you strategies for successful university study. This program runs before the start of semester and covers all the essential skills including academic writing, avoiding plagiarism and using assessment feedback. Check out the latest information on One Step Ahead here.
Subject Coordinators: We offer workshops to develop students’ skills for assessment tasks.
Contact your local Learning Hub to discuss embedded workshops at your campus. If you would like to request a targeted workshop, please give us 3 weeks' notice prior to the proposed workshop date.
Help from a Librarian in The Learning Hub
The Library supports students with finding relevant resources for assignments/research and referencing.
Check your campus library's opening times
Get in touch with the Library via chat, phone or email
We support postgraduate students by offering a range of additional services, depending on whether you are a Postgraduate Coursework or Higher Degree Research (HDR) student.
For Higher Degree Research (HDR) students:
- The Research Education Development team (RED) runs workshops to support your research and other activities to help you during your candidature, including Shut Up and Write sessions, the Three Minute Thesis competition and the Visualise your Thesis competition
- The Learning Hub LMS Graduate Writing section offers great strategies and tips for beginning your research, critical reading and thesis writing
- The Learning Hub also offers one-to-one consultations for guidance with your writing
Referencing and citation
Universities are very careful about acknowledging where information and ideas come from. This means that the use of other people’s ideas in your work needs to be referenced. Different areas of study have specific ways of referencing, all of which require practice and take time to master. Become more proficient and confident by getting the referencing help you need.
Do you have the academic skills you need to achieve at uni? Click on the modules below to find out what you need to know, learn great tips, see examples of important skills at work, try out your skills, and find links to further resources.
Studiosity Online Writing Feedback and Study Support
- Studiosity gives you feedback and strategies to help you develop your writing and study skills.
- Connect Live chat offers general and first-year level advice on language, study skills, stats, accounting, and economics after hours.
- Writing feedback will generally be returned within 24 hours. You then need to reflect on how to improve your work before you hand it in. So don’t leave it to the last minute!
- Studiosity writing tutors will not edit or rewrite your written work, advise on content, nor tell you how to answer the question. They will comment to identify where you can improve your grammar, spelling, structure and clarity of your writing.
- You can use Studiosity up to 10 times in 2020.