Animal research ethics
Researchers who use live non-human vertebrate and higher-order invertebrate animals for experimental or teaching purposes are bound by the Australian Code for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes and relevant Australian State and Commonwealth legislation together with University regulations and policies. All research has additional research integrity responsibilities. Find out here about Research Integrity at La Trobe.
All research and teaching projects involving live non-human vertebrates and higher-order invertebrates must be reviewed and approved by the La Trobe University Animal Ethics Committee before research begins.
Please read La Trobe's Animal Ethics Guidelines.
Find out how to apply to the Animal Ethics Committee.
Make sure you are following the right record-keeping procedures.
Details about the committee, meeting dates, feedback and complaints
Access our online training module, recommended for all new staff and students undertaking research that involves animals.
Animal ethics resources
- The Code: The 8th edition of the Australian Code for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes (2013).
- Guidelines to promote the wellbeing of animals used for scientific purposes: The assessment and alleviation of pain and distress in research animals: Released by the NHMRC in June 2008 to accompany the Code.
- Guidelines for the Generation, Breeding, Care and Use of Genetically Modified and Cloned Animals for Scientitic Purposes: Produced by the Animal Welfare Committee of the NHMRC (2007).
- Model Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals: Land Transport of Poultry (2006)
- Australian Animal Welfare Strategy: Produced by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (Canberra: 2005).
- Victorian Government: The use of animals for teaching and research. [New web address: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/animal-health-and-welfare/animals-used-in-research-and-teaching]
- ANZCCART: The Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching.
- CSIRO: Model Codes of Conduct for a large number of procedures and animal species.
- RSPCA: Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia (released June 2007) [PDF 729KB].
- Comfortable Quarters for Laboratory Animals: A web site by the US Animal Welfare Institute with extensive information on the keeping of animals.
- Veterinary Education and Information Network: A web site with extensive links to animal welfare resources.
- The National Health and Medical Research Council
- Victorian Law Today
- Code of Practice for the Housing and Care of Laboratory Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs and Rabbits
- National Centre for the Replacement Refinement & Reduction of Animals in Research
- Three Rs Microsite
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Resources
- Assessing the Health and Welfare of Laboratory Animals
- Australian and New Zealand Laboratory Animal Association
- Experimental Design Resource