LGBTIQ+ Family Matters
LGBTIQ+ Family Matters is about working respectfully with LGBTIQ+ people and their family members to promote and sustain relational health.
Backed by research and guided by people with lived experience, this course has been created to support LGBTIQ+ people and their families navigate times of stress and pressure – with a view to improving support networks, and the mental health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ+ people. It is designed to help practitioners understand the unique needs of LGBTIQ+ people and properly engage family support – by way of understanding important terminology, history and culture, the experience of minority stress and potential trauma, and the need for support when there is relational pressure around sexuality or gender in the family.
LGBTIQ+ Family Matters is based at The Bouverie Centre, La Trobe University and was produced in collaboration with Thorne Harbour Health.
Self-paced online, available 24/7
4 CPD hours
$198 including GST
Henry von Doussa
- Module 1: Introduction, course rationale and underlying research
- Module 2: Working in a culturally safe way with LGBTIQ+ individuals
- Module 3: Working in a culturally safe way with an LGBTIQ+ individual’s family members
- Module 4: Family work with an LGBTIQ+ lens
What will you Learn?
LGBTIQ+ Family Matters introduces you to:
- Working respectfully with LGBTIQ+ people and their families
- Engaging LGBTIQ+ people and their families at an organisational level
- Conducting successful family meetings with LGBTIQ+ people and their families
These modules provide a framework for family therapists to address the unique personal and relational challenges faced by those in the community and improve the mental health and wellbeing of everyone involved. Upon completion, practitioners will be able to create a safe, non-judgemental environment for families to meet, while also advocating for the LGBTIQ+ person.
This course is suitable for health care and allied health practitioners, supervisors, and managers from a diversity of disciplines and settings.