Advanced Materials and Metallurgy
La Trobe University’s Advanced Materials and Metallurgy research group is led by Head of Department Professor Roger Lumley. With over 20 years’ experience in materials science, engineering, manufacturing, R&D and project management. Roger is internationally recognised in both research and industry for his work in materials engineering and his contributions to manufacturing industries.
With a strong focus on industry focused research resulting in commercial impact, Roger leads a team with a strong advocacy for Australian manufacturing and recently, led a team that won the Australian Industry Research Group Medal for development and commercialization of technologies that have been employed in the F35 Joint Strike Fighter.
Developing materials for Biomedical, Aerospace, Defence and General engineering, current Research Focus areas include:
- Invar Castings for Satellite Sensor Components
- Advanced Castings / Casting Factor 1.0 in Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Alloys
- Design Safety Factors in Additive Manufacturing
- Positron Annihilation Lifetime Spectroscopy
- Functional polymer composites
- Magnetic Nanoparticles
- Carbon nanomaterials
Associate Professor Ing Kong