Victorian Aged Care Education & Training (VACET)
What is the education and training package?
This is a free on-line, modular, self-paced package designed to meet an identified training gap in the Residential Aged Care Sector.
Why was the package developed?
The scope of this education and training package is to build capacity and capability within the Residential Aged Care Sector workforce. The original focus of VACET was these three care areas:
- Dementia Care
- Understanding dementia
- Understanding pain
- Recognising and responding to responsive behaviours
- Depression and dementia
- Sleep and dementia
- Recognising and providing a palliative response to care
- Palliative care introduction
- Symptom management
- Recognition and management of an actively dying resident
- Loss, grief and bereavement
- Self-care and resilience
- Oral and dental hygiene and links to health and well-being
- Perspectives on oral care
- Aged Care Quality Standards
- Oral care and communication
- Healthy oral structures
- Oral screening and oral care planning
- Oral health and general health
- Specific personalised oral care
- Additional preventive options
- Oral sensitivity and comfort
VACET now includes another six stand-alone modules:
- Communication in practice
- Continence management
- Introduction to residential aged care
- Medication safety
- Restrictive practice
The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety identified gaps in training in several areas which are a critical to ensure safe, quality care.
The target audience for this package include Registered Nurses, Enrolled Nurses, Personal Care Workers and Allied Health staff.
In addition we have included a portfolio module where users can keep a log of their learning, add information they want to refer back to and note their thoughts and feelings in response to the learning.
Each module takes approximately 30 minutes to complete and is equivalent to 30 minutes of CPD.
Who developed the package?
The Australian Centre for Evidence Based Aged Care (ACEBAC) at La Trobe University, Melbourne, is an internationally recognised leader in evidence based aged care. ACEBAC has a wealth of experience developing, identifying and promoting the dissemination and integration of evidence into aged care practice. The package was originally funded by the Victorian State Government.
How to enrol?
To enrol in the education and training you will need to:
- Register as a user and create an account via https://vacet.latrobe.edu.au
- There is a Get Started link on the landing page that will take you to registration.
- Once you have registered you will receive an e-mail. Click on the link provided to activate your account.
- Following successful account activation, you will receive a second e-mail that welcomes you to the platform.
You can access VACET securely from any of your devices and your information is kept securely within the platform.
Who can I contact for more information?
Australian Centre for Evidence Based Aged Care (ACEBAC), La Trobe University
T: +61 3 9479 6607