Victorian Aged Care Education & Training (VACET)
What is the education and training package?
This is a free on-line, modular, self-paced package designed to meet an identified training gap in the Victorian Residential Aged Care Sector.
Why was the package developed?
The scope of this education and training package is to build capacity and capability within the Victorian Residential aged care sector workforce. The focus is on three care areas:
- Dementia Care
- Recognising and providing a palliative response to care
- Oral and dental hygiene and links to health and well-being
The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety identified gaps in training in these three key areas which are a critical to ensure safe, quality care. The target audience for this package include Registered Nurses, Enrolled Nurses, Personal Care Workers and Allied Health staff.
What will participants learn?
This package comprises three categories as identified above. Each category of learning has a number of modules that have been designed to be completed in around 30 minutes.
- Understanding dementia
- Understanding pain
- Recognising and responding to responsive behaviours
- Depression and dementia
- Sleep and dementia
- Palliative care introduction
- Symptom management
- Recognition and management of an actively dying resident
- Loss, grief and bereavement
- Self-care and resilience
- Perspectives on oral care
- Aged Care Quality Standards
- Oral care and communication
- Healthy oral structures
- Oral screening and oral care planning
- Oral health and general health
- Specific personalised oral care
- Additional preventive options
- Oral sensitivity and comfort
In addition we have included a portfolio module where users can keep a log of their learning, add information they want to refer back to and note their thoughts and feelings in response to the learning.
Who developed the package?
The Australian Centre for Evidence Based Aged Care (ACEBAC) at La Trobe University, Melbourne, is an internationally recognised leader in evidence based aged care. ACEBAC has a wealth of experience developing, identifying and promoting the dissemination and integration of evidence into aged care practice. The package was funded by the Victorian State Government.
How to enrol?
The Victorian Aged Care Education and Training (VACET) is available from 1st July 2021.
To enrol in the education and training you will need to:
- Register as a user and create an account via https://vacet.latrobe.edu.au
- There is a Get Started link on the landing page that will take you to registration.
- Once you have registered you will receive an e-mail. Click on the link provided to activate your account.
- Following successful account activation, you will receive a second e-mail that welcomes you to the platform.
You will automatically be enrolled in the three programs for the categories of learning, the portfolio where you can record your module completions and the Welcome module. You can access VACET securely from any of your devices and your information is kept securely within the platform.
Who can I contact for more information?
Australian Centre for Evidence Based Aged Care (ACEBAC), La Trobe University
T: +61 3 9479 6008