Biomedical Science (Medical) Rurality evidence

To be eligible, applicants must have resided according to their principal home address in areas classified as MMM2 to MMM7 by the Modified Monash Model (2019) for at least 5 consecutive years or 10 cumulative years. Preferably, they should have completed Years 11 and 12 at a school in an MMM2 to MMM7 area.

Applicants need to complete a VTAC or UAC application and submit supporting documentation through the Rurality Form to prove they resided in MMM2 to MMM7 for the required duration.

Applicants must provide a professional supporting letter or a statutory declaration, as well as appropriate documents to prove their address. See below for details.

Acceptable supporting documents

This letter must:

  • Be original and written specifically to support your claim
  • Be on official letterhead with the writer's address, phone number, and email contact details
  • Be signed and dated
  • Include your rural residential address, your rural address history, and the dates you resided there (no future dates accepted)
  • Explain how the author knows you, e.g., student, patient
  • Include the names of parents or guardians if you were under 18 when living rurally

See a sample letter of support [PDF 347.7 KB]


Must include:

  • Your name
  • Their names and relationship to you
  • A detailed rural residential history, including addresses and dates you resided at each address
  • Signature and date
  • Witnessing by a Justice of the Peace (JP)
  • Use of an official statutory declaration template, either from your state or territory or a Commonwealth template


Provide one document from the start and one from the end of the period you are claiming, totalling 5 or 10 years. If you have multiple addresses, provide documents for the start and end of each address period. Acceptable documents include:

  • Utility (Gas, Electricity, Water) and telephone invoices
  • Bank statements showing your (or your family’s) address (first page only, with date and address)
  • Lease agreements or end lease agreements (not rates notices)
  • Centrelink statements

Online printed invoices are acceptable only if dated the year they were issued (e.g., a bank statement must be dated 2014 if you are proving residence for 2014; it cannot be dated 2024).

Documents can be copies and do not need to be certified. All documents and statutory declarations must include the rural address history and time periods.

Current Year 12 applicants only

Gap Year or Higher Education Applicants

  • Copy of ATAR results
  • All tertiary transcripts with GPA from within last 10 years

Unacceptable documents and claims

  • Rates notices, as they do not confirm the primary residing address (could be a rental/investment/holiday property)
  • School reports, as they do not clearly state your primary residential address
  • Time spent at a rural secondary residence (e.g., holiday home)
  • Intentions to claim future time as part of the 5 or 10 years, as future residence cannot be verified

Submitting false or misleading information may result in any offer of a place withdrawn at any stage, including after the course has commenced.