Mini MERTIL: An Introduction to Early Relational Trauma is an introductory course to the full MERTIL (My Early Relational Trauma Informed Learning) program.
Mini MERTIL is an engaging 2-hour self-paced online course which offers an introduction to the identification of early childhood developmental delay and to the recognition of early relational trauma in the parent–child relationship. This form of trauma can stem from parent mental illness, grief, family violence, substance abuse, and related experiences.
The MERTIL project is based at The Bouverie Centre, La Trobe University and operates in partnership with Deakin University.
Self-paced online, available 24/7
2 CPD hours
$99 (GST included)
Prof. Jenn McIntosh
- Theme 1: Development in a relational context
- Theme 2: Signs and symptoms of early relational trauma
- Theme 3: Effective trauma-informed conversations and interventions
The Mini MERTIL course has 3 themes over 8 chapters.
Infant trauma: a relational, developmental and humanising framework; Attachment development and the transmission of caregiving trauma
Recognising relational trauma in caregivers, infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers
Creating supportive trauma-informed conversations for a shared recognition of risk; Responding to trauma – brief and enhanced interventions
What will you Learn?
You will develop an enhanced capacity to:
- Recognise childhood developmental delay
- Respond to trauma within parent–infant relationships
The Mini MERTIL course is an ideal introduction to the topics of early relational trauma and attachment theory, and is suitable for a broad array of frontline health services, including nurses, midwives, psychologists, GPs, family support workers, social workers, child protection workers, infant mental health workers, and healthcare workers.
The Mini MERTIL course is ideal for those frontline practitioners who:
- Are new to working with families and young children, or don’t see them regularly
- Feel they may be seeing relational trauma in the parent-child dyads they see
- Feel there’s more going on in a parent-child relationship but are unsure what that may be
Registration includes 3 months’ access to the MERTIL Resource Library, which contains a rich collection of podcasts from trauma experts, articles, factsheets, pre-recorded case consultations and webinars, web links and more.