Read our journal articles, policy consultations and online presentations.
We publish our research findings:
- in high quality journals and books
- at national and international conferences
- community events
- through policy consultation and advocacy.
Our 2023 publications
- Who Is Attending? The Role of Child Ethnicity and Maternal Demographics in Research Engagement and Early Identification of Autism
- Parent-Child Interactions May Help to Explain Relations Between Parent Characteristics and Clinically Observed Child Autistic Behaviours
- Examining subjective understandings of autistic burnout using Q methodology: A study protocol
- “Maybe No One Knows We Need Help”: Understanding the Experiences of Autistic Working Mothers in Australia
- Leisure, employment, community participation and quality of life in caregivers of autistic children: A scoping review
- Predictors of Developmental and Adaptive Behaviour Outcomes in Response to Early Intensive Behavioural Intervention and the Early Start Denver Model
- Prediction of school-age outcomes for autistic children following receipt of group-early start denver model
- Developmental Skills Moderate the Association Between Core Autism Features and Adaptive Behaviour in Early Childhood
- Identifying and prioritising strategies to optimise community gym participation for young adults with cerebral palsy: an e-Delphi study
- Interactions between the lipidome and genetic and environmental factors in autism
- Longitudinal Role of Coping Strategies on Mental Health Outcomes in Autistic Youth and Adults
- The impact of sleep quality, fatigue and social well-being on depressive symptomatology in autistic older adolescents and young adults.
- 'If I'm just me, I doubt I'd get the job': A qualitative exploration of autistic people's experiences in job interviews.
- Predicting future sleep problems in young autistic children
- The Utility of Natural Language Samples for Assessing Communication and Language in Infants Referred with Early Signs of Autism.
- Parent resolution of diagnosis and intervention fidelity in a parent-delivered intervention for pre-school children with autism: A mixed methods study
- The Prevalence and Risk Factors of Autistic Experiences of Interpersonal Violence: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Measurement of Self-regulation in Preschool and Elementary Children: A Scoping Review
- The Sensory Observation Autism Rating Scale (SOAR): Developed using the PROMIS® framework
- Factors associated with parental resolution of a child's autism diagnosis: A systematic review
Diagnostic Accuracy of the Social Attention and Communication Surveillance-Revised With Preschool Tool for Early Autism Detection in Very Young Children
- Barbaro, J., Sadka, N., Gilbert, M., Beattie, E., Li, X., Ridgway, L., Lawson, L. P., & Dissanayake, C. JAMA Network Open.
Understanding language preference: Autism knowledge, experience of stigma and autism identity
- Bury, S. M., Jellett, R., Haschek, A., Wenzel, M., Hedley, D., & Spoor, J. R. Autism.
Brief Report: Learning about autism: Is the source of autism knowledge associated with differences in autism knowledge, autism identity, and experiences of stigma
- Bury, S. M., Haschek, A., Wenzel, M., Spoor, J. R., & Hedley, D. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
The stereotype content model and disabilities
- Canton, E., Hedley, D., & Spoor, J. R. Journal of Social Psychology.
The Early Childhood Signs of Autism in Females: a Systematic Review
- Chellew, T., Barbaro, J., & Freeman, N.C. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Brief Report: Discrete Effortful Control Skills Moderate Relations Between Childhood Behavioural Inhibition and Mental Health Difficulties in Autistic Youth
- Chetcuti, L., Richdale, A. L., Haschek, A., Uljarević, M., & Lawson, L. P. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Continuity of temperament subgroup classifications from infancy to toddlerhood in the context of early autism traits
- Chetcuti, L., Uljarević, M., Varcin, K. J., Boutrus, M., Dimov, S., Pillar, S., Barbaro, J., Dissanayake, C. … & AICES Team. Autism Research.
Characteristics of children attending an autism specific early learning and care setting prior to and following introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Clark, M., & Dissanayake, C. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability.
Does exercise affect quality of life and participation of adolescents and adults with cerebral palsy: a systematic review
- Czencz, J., Shields, N., Wallen, M., Wilson, P. H., McGuckian, T. B., & Imms, C. Disability and rehabilitation.
Leisure, employment, community participation and quality of life in caregivers of autistic children: A scoping review
- Davy, G., Unwin, K. L., Barbaro, J., & Dissanayake, C. Autism.
Parental experience of an early developmental surveillance programme for autism within Australian general practice: a qualitative study
- Eapen, V., Winata, T., Gilbert, M., Nair, R., … Dissanayake, C.… Barbaro, J. BMJ open.
Eating Challenges in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Development and Validation of the “Aut-Eat” Questionnaire (AEQ)
- Gal, E., Gal-Mishael, R., Vissoker, R. E., Hedley, D., Bury, S. M., & Stolar, O. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
The Efficacy of Disability Employment Service (DES) Providers Working with Autistic Clients
- Hayward, S. M., Flower, R. L., Denney, K. E., Bury, S. M., Richdale, A. L., Dissanayake, C. & Hedley, D. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
The Suicidal Ideation Attributes Scale-Modified (SIDAS-M): Development and preliminary validation of a new scale for the measurement of suicidal ideation in autistic adults
- Hedley, D., Batterham, P. J., Bury, S. M., Clapperton, A., Denney, K., Dissanayake, C.… Sahin, E., et al. Autism.
Cost-benefit analysis of a non-government organization and Australian government collaborative supported employment program for autistic people
- Hedley, D., Hedley, D. F., Walkowiak, E., Bury, S. M., Spoor, J. R., & Shiell, A. Autism.
Suicide by young Australians, 2006–2015: a cross-sectional analysis of national coronial data [Letter]
- Hedley, D., Stokes, M. A., & Trollor, J. N. Medical Journal of Australia.
Autistic Adults' Experiences of Diagnosis Disclosure
- Huang, Y., Hwang, Y. I. J., Arnold, S. R. C., Lawson, L. P., Richdale, A. L., & Trollor, J. N. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Social Support Initiatives That Facilitate Exercise Participation in Community Gyms for People with Disability: A Scoping Review
- Kennedy, R. A., McKenzie, G., Holmes, C., & Shields, N. International journal of environmental research and public health.
Preliminary Validation and Feasibility of the Autism Detection in Early Childhood-Virtual (ADEC-V) for Autism Telehealth Evaluations in a Hospital Setting
- Kryszak, E. M., Albright, C. M., Stephenson, K. G., Nevill, R. E., Hedley, D., et al. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Sensorimotor Surveillance in the First Year of Life: Imperatives for Physical and Occupational Therapy Practice. A Commentary on "Posture Matters: Object Manipulation during the Transition to Arms-Free Sitting in Infants at Elevated vs. Typical Likelihood for Autism Spectrum Disorder"
- Lane, A. E., & Heathcock, J. Physical & occupational therapy in pediatrics.
Patterns of sensory modulation by age and sex in young people on the autism spectrum
- Lane, A. E., Simpson, K., Masi, A., Grove, R., Moni, M. A., et al. Autism Research.
ACT-i, an insomnia intervention for autistic adults: A pilot study
- Lawson, L., Richdale, A. L., Denney, K., & Morris, E. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy.
Do the means affect the ends? Radical tactics influence motivation and action tendencies via the perceived legitimacy and efficacy of those actions
- Lizzio‐Wilson, M., Thomas, E. F., Louis, W. R., Amiot, C. E., Bury, S. M., et al. European journal of social psychology.
The Lancet Commission on the future of care and clinical research in autism [Review]
- Lord, C., Charman, T., Havdahl, A., Carbone, P., Anagnostou, E., … Dissanayake, C. et al. The Lancet.
Visual Detection and Decoding Skills of Aerial Photography by Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Marciano, H., Gal, E., Kimchi, R., Hedley, D., Goldfarb, Y., & Bonneh, Y. S. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
A conceptual model of risk and protective factors for autistic burnout
- Mantzalas, J., Richdale, A. L., & Dissanayake, C. Autism Research.
Brief report: bidirectional association of core autism features and cognitive abilities in early childhood
- McGowan, K., Berends, D., Hudry, K., Vivanti, G., Dissanayake, C. & Bent, C. A. Journal of autism and developmental disorders.
Factors associated with the early emergence of atypical feeding behaviours in infants and young children: A scoping review
- Mudholkar, A., Korostenski, L., Blackwell, D., & Lane, A. E., Child: Care, Health & Development.
Associations between coping strategies and mental health outcomes in autistic adults
- Muniandy, M., Richdale, A. L., Arnold, S. R. C., Trollor, J. N., & Lawson, L. P. Autism Research.
Coping-resilience profiles and experiences of stress in autistic adults
- Muniandy, M., Richdale, A. L., & Lawson, L. P. Autism Research.
Conceptualising Autistic Masking, Camouflaging, and Neurotypical Privilege: Towards a Minority Group Model of Neurodiversity
- Radulski, E. M. Human Development.
Consumer engagement in doctoral research - what difference does it make?.
- Rees, L., Sherwood, M., & Shields, N. Spinal cord.
Progressive resistance training in young people with Prader-Willi syndrome: protocol for a randomised trial (PRESTO)
- Shields, N., Bennell, K. L., Southby, A., Rice, L. J., Markovic, T., Bigby, C., et al. BMJ open.
Changes in Knowledge on the Signs of Autism in Young Children (11–30 Months) among Female Community Health Volunteers in Nepal
- Shrestha, R., Barbaro, J., & Dissanayake, C. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
The utility of LENA as an indicator of developmental outcomes for young children with autism
- Sulek, R., Smith, J., Bent, C. A., Hudry, K., Trembath, D., Vivanti, G., & Dissanayake, C. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders.
Spoken Language Change in Children on the Autism Spectrum Receiving Community-Based Interventions
- Trembath, D., Stainer, M., Caithness, T., Dissanayake, C.… Tucker, M. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Social and Behavioural Outcomes of School Aged Autistic Children Who Received Community-Based Early Interventions
- Vinen, Z., Clark, M., & Dissanayake, C. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Characteristics of children on the autism spectrum who benefit the most from receiving intervention in inclusive versus specialised early childhood education settings
- Vivanti, G., Bent, C., Capes, K., Upson, S., Hudry, K., Dissanayake, C. & The Victorian, A. T. Autism Research.
Parent-infant interaction quality is related to preterm status and sensory processing
- Woolard, A., Coleman, A., Johnson, T., Wakely, K., Campbell, L. E., … & Lane, A. E. Infant behavior & development.
Baker, E. K., Arora, S., Amor, D. J., Date, P., Cross, M., O’Brien, J., Simons, C., Rogers, C., Goodall, S., Slee, J., Cahir, C., & Godler, D. E. (2021). The Cost of Raising Individuals with Fragile X or Chromosome 15 Imprinting Disorders in Australia. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-021-05193-4
Ballester-Navarro, P., Martínez-Madrid, M. J., Javaloyes-Sanchís, A., Belda-Cantó, C., Aguilar, V., Inda, M. D. M., Richdale, A. L., Muriel, J., Morales, D., & Peiró, A. M. (2021). Interplay of circadian clock and melatonin pathway gene variants in adults with autism, intellectual disability and sleep problems. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 81, Article 101715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2020.101715
Barbaro, J., & Freeman, N. C. (2021). Investigating gender differences in the early markers of Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) in infants and toddlers. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 83, Article 101745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2021.101745
Barbaro, J., Masi, A., Gilbert, M., Nair, R., Abdullahi, I., Descallar, J., Dissanayake, C., Eastwood, J., Hasan, I., Jalaludin, B., Karlov, L., Khan, F., Kohlhoff, J., Liaw, S. T., Lingam, R., Mendoza Diaz, A., Ong, N., Tam, C. W. M., Unwin, K., . . . Eapen, V. (2021). A Multistate Trial of an Early Surveillance Program for Autism Within General Practices in Australia. Frontiers in Pediatrics, 9, Article 640359. https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2021.640359
Bury, S. M., Flower, R. L., Zulla, R., Nicholas, D. B., & Hedley, D. (2021). Workplace Social Challenges Experienced by Employees on the Autism Spectrum: An International Exploratory Study Examining Employee and Supervisor Perspectives. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 51(5), 1614-1627. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04662-6
Chetcuti, L., Uljarević, M., Ellis-Davies, K., Hardan, A. Y., Whitehouse, A. J. O., Hedley, D., Putnam, S., Hudry, K., & Prior, M. R. (2021). Temperament in individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A systematic review [Review]. Clinical Psychology Review, 85, Article 101984. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2021.101984
Chetcuti, L., Uljarević, M., Varcin, K. J., Boutrus, M., Pillar, S., Dimov, S., Barbaro, J., Dissanayake, C., Green, J., Wan, M. W., Segal, L., Slonims, V., Whitehouse, A. J. O., Hudry, K., Iacono, T., Maybery, M., Renton, M., Sadka, N., Wakeling, S., . . . The, A. T. (2021). Caregiver Psychological Distress Predicts Temperament and Social-Emotional Outcomes in Infants with Autism Traits. Research on Child and Adolescent Psychopathology, 49(12), 1669-1681. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-021-00838-5
DeBoth, K. K., Reynolds, S., Lane, S. J., Carretta, H., Lane, A. E., & Schaaf, R. C. (2021). Neurophysiological Correlates of Sensory-Based Phenotypes in ASD. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10578-021-01266-8
Fanning, P. A. J., Sparaci, L., Dissanayake, C., Hocking, D. R., & Vivanti, G. (2021). Functional play in young children with autism and Williams syndrome: A cross-syndrome comparison. Child Neuropsychology, 27(1), 125-149. https://doi.org/10.1080/09297049.2020.1804846
Flower, R. L., Dickens, L. M., & Hedley, D. (2021). Barriers to Employment: Raters' Perceptions of Male Autistic and Non-Autistic Candidates during a Simulated Job Interview and the Impact of Diagnostic Disclosure. Autism in Adulthood, 3(4), 300-309. https://doi.org/10.1089/aut.2020.0075
Flower, R. L., Richdale, A. L., & Lawson, L. P. (2021). Brief Report: What Happens After School? Exploring Post-school Outcomes for a Group of Autistic and Non-autistic Australian Youth. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 51(4), 1385-1391. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04600-6
Gabis, L. V., Gross, R., & Barbaro, J. (2021). Editorial: Personalized Precision Medicine in Autism Spectrum-Related Disorders [Editorial]. Frontiers in Neurology, 12, Article 730852. https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2021.730852
Goldfarb, Y., Zafrani, O., Hedley, D., Yaari, M., & Gal, E. (2021). Autistic adults’ subjective experiences of hoarding and self-injurious behaviors. Autism, 25(5), 1457-1468. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361321992640
Harper-Hill, K., Trembath, D., Clark, M., Bruck, S., & Saggers, B. (2021). Meeting the communication needs of students on the autism spectrum in Australian classrooms: Adjustments reported by educators and specialists. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 23(2), 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2020.1758786
Hedley, D., Hayward, S. M., Denney, K., Uljarević, M., Bury, S., Sahin, E., Brown, C. M., Clapperton, A., Dissanayake, C., Robinson, J., Trollor, J., & Stokes, M. A. (2021). The association between COVID-19, personal wellbeing, depression, and suicide risk factors in Australian autistic adults. Autism Research, 14(12), 2663-2676. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2614 *top downloaded article in this journal in first 12 months
Hedley, D., Spoor, J. R., Cai, R. Y., Uljarevic, M., Bury, S., Gal, E., Moss, S., Richdale, A., Bartram, T., & Dissanayake, C. (2021). Advances in Autism, 7(1), 28-40. https://doi.org/10.1108/AIA-09-2019-0029
Hedley, D., Uljarević, M., Cai, R. Y., Bury, S. M., Stokes, M. A., & Evans, D. W. (2021). Domains of the autism phenotype, cognitive control, and rumination as transdiagnostic predictors of DSM-5 suicide risk. PLoS ONE, 16(1 January), Article e0245562. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0245562
Huang, Y., Arnold, S. R. C., Foley, K. R., Lawson, L. P., Richdale, A. L., & Trollor, J. N. (2021). Factors associated with age at autism diagnosis in a community sample of Australian adults. Autism Research, 14(12), 2677-2687. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2610
Licari, M. K., Varcin, K., Hudry, K., Leonard, H. C., Alvares, G. A., Pillar, S. V., Stevenson, P. G., Cooper, M. N., Whitehouse, A. J. O., Barbaro, J., Boutrus, M., Chetcuti, L., Dissanayake, C., Green, J., Iacono, T., Maybery, M., Segal, L., Slonims, V., Wan, M. W., . . . the, A. T. (2021). The course and prognostic capability of motor difficulties in infants showing early signs of autism. Autism Research, 14(8), 1759-1768. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2545
Mallise, C. A., Lane, A. E., Murphy, V. E., Woolard, A., Whalen, O. M., Gibson, P. G., Karayanidis, F., & Campbell, L. E. (2021). Developmental Profiles of Infants with an Elevated Likelihood of Autism Who Were Born to Mothers with Asthma: a Case Series. Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 5(4), 473-487. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41252-021-00221-x
Mallise, C. A., Murphy, V. E., Campbell, L. E., Woolard, A. J., Whalen, O. M., Milton, G., Mattes, J., Collison, A., Gibson, P. G., Karayanidis, F., & Lane, A. E. (2021). Early Sensory and Temperament Features in Infants Born to Mothers With Asthma: A Cross-Sectional Study. Frontiers in Psychology, 12, Article 713804. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.713804
Mallise, C. A., Murphy, V. E., Karayanidis, F., Armstrong, H., Whalen, O. M., Woolard, A. J., Gibson, P. G., Mattes, J., Collison, A., Lane, A. E., & Campbell, L. E. (2021). Parenting stress in mothers with asthma during the postpartum period. Journal of Asthma. https://doi.org/10.1080/02770903.2021.1993246
Masi, A., Dissanayake, C., Alach, T., Cameron, K., Fordyce, K., Frost, G., Grove, R., Heussler, H., Silove, N., Sulek, R., Tucker, M., Williams, K., & Eapen, V. (2021). Clinical outcomes and associated predictors of early intervention in autism spectrum disorder: A study protocol. BMJ Open, 11(8), Article e047290. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-047290
Mazurek, M., & Richdale, A. L. (2021). Editors’ Prologue and Introduction to the Special Issue [Editorial]. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 88, Article 101850. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2021.101850
Mozolic-Staunton, B., Barbaro, J., Yoxall, J., & Donelly, M. (2021). Monitoring children’s development in early childhood education settings to promote early detection of autism. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 46(2), 163-178. https://doi.org/10.1177/1836939121998085
Muniandy, M., Richdale, A. L., Arnold, S. R. C., Trollor, J. N., & Lawson, L. P. (2021). Factor structure and psychometric properties of the Brief COPE in autistic older adolescents and adults. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 84, Article 101764. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2021.101764
Muniandy, M., Richdale, A. L., Arnold, S. R. C., Trollor, J. N., & Lawson, L. P. (2021). Inter-relationships between trait resilience, coping strategies, and mental health outcomes in autistic adults. Autism Research, 14(10), 2156-2168. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2564
Ray, K., Dally, K., Colyvas, K., & Lane, A. E. (2021). The Effects of a Whole-Class Kindergarten Handwriting Intervention on Early Reading Skills [Conference Paper]. Reading Research Quarterly, 56(S1), S193-S207. https://doi.org/10.1002/rrq.395
Ray, K., Dally, K., & Lane, A. E. (2021). Impact of A Co-taught Handwriting Intervention for Kindergarten Children in A School Setting: A Pilot, Single Cohort Study. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, and Early Intervention. https://doi.org/10.1080/19411243.2021.1975604
Ray, K., Dally, K., Rowlandson, L., Tam, K. I., & Lane, A. E. (2021). The relationship of handwriting ability and literacy in kindergarten: a systematic review [Review]. Reading and Writing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11145-021-10224-8
Roussis, S., Richdale, A. L., Katz, T., Malow, B. A., Barbaro, J., & Sadka, N. (2021). Behaviour, cognition, and autism symptoms and their relationship with sleep problem severity in young children with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 83, Article 101743. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2021.101743
Sheedy, A. J., Brent, J., Dally, K., Ray, K., & Lane, A. E. (2021). Handwriting Readiness among Digital Native Kindergarten Students. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 41(6), 655-669. https://doi.org/10.1080/01942638.2021.1912247
Shrestha, R., Dissanayake, C., & Barbaro, J. (2021). Caregivers’ knowledge of autism in a local peri-urban community of Nepal: A cross-sectional study in Kirtipur, Kathmandu. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 80, Article 101696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2020.101696
Shrestha, R., Dissanayake, C., & Barbaro, J. (2021). Implementing and evaluating Social Attention and Communication Surveillance (SACS) to prospectively identify autism in very young children in Nepal. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 115, Article 104013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2021.104013
Shui, A. M., Richdale, A. L., & Katz, T. (2021). Evaluating sleep quality using the CSHQ-Autism. Sleep Medicine, 87, 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2021.08.022
Smith, J., Sulek, R., Abdullahi, I., Green, C. C., Bent, C. A., Dissanayake, C., & Hudry, K. (2021). Comparison of mental health, well-being and parenting sense of competency among Australian and South-East Asian parents of autistic children accessing early intervention in Australia. Autism, 25(6), 1784-1796. https://doi.org/10.1177/13623613211010006
Spoor, J. R., Bury, S. M., & Hedley, D. (2021). Non-autistic employees’ perspectives on the implementation of an autism employment programme. Autism, 25(8), 2177-2188. https://doi.org/10.1177/13623613211012880
Spoor, J. R., Flower, R. L., Bury, S. M., & Hedley, D. (2021). Employee engagement and commitment to two Australian autism employment programs: associations with workload and perceived supervisor support. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. https://doi.org/10.1108/EDI-05-2020-0132
Thomas, E. F., McGarty, C., Louis, W. R., Wenzel, M., Bury, S., & Woodyatt, L. (2021). It’s About Time! Identifying and Explaining Unique Trajectories of Solidarity-Based Collective Action to Support People in Developing Countries. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672211047083
Trembath, D., Sutherland, R., Caithness, T., Dissanayake, C., Eapen, V., Fordyce, K., Frost, G., Iacono, T., Mahler, N., Masi, A., Paynter, J., Pye, K., Reilly, S., Rose, V., Sievers, S., Thirumanickam, A., Westerveld, M., & Tucker, M. (2021). Clinician Proposed Predictors of Spoken Language Outcomes for Minimally Verbal Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 51(2), 564-575. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04550-z
Tzelepis, F., Mitchell, A., Wilson, L., Byrnes, E., Haschek, A., Leigh, L., & Oldmeadow, C. (2021). The Long-Term Effectiveness of Internet-Based Interventions on Multiple Health Risk Behaviors: Systematic Review and Robust Variance Estimation Meta-analysis [Review]. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 23(12), Article e23513. https://doi.org/10.2196/23513
Unwin, K. L., Powell, G., & Jones, C. R. G. (2021). A sequential mixed-methods approach to exploring the experiences of practitioners who have worked in multi-sensory environments with autistic children. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 118, Article 104061. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2021.104061
Unwin, K. L., Powell, G., & Jones, C. R. G. (2021). The use of Multi-Sensory Environments with autistic children: Exploring the effect of having control of sensory changes. Autism. https://doi.org/10.1177/13623613211050176
Waddington, H., Shepherd, D., van der Meer, L., Powell-Hector, N., Wilson, E., & Barbaro, J. (2021). Brief Report: Training New Zealand Well Child/Tamariki Ora Nurses on Early Autism Signs Using the Social Attention and Communication Surveillance-Revised. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-021-05344-7
Whitehouse, A. J. O., Varcin, K. J., Pillar, S., Billingham, W., Alvares, G. A., Barbaro, J., Bent, C. A., Blenkley, D., Boutrus, M., Chee, A., Chetcuti, L., Clark, A., Davidson, E., Dimov, S., Dissanayake, C., Doyle, J., Grant, M., Green, C. C., Harrap, M., . . . Hudry, K. (2021). Effect of Preemptive Intervention on Developmental Outcomes among Infants Showing Early Signs of Autism: A Randomized Clinical Trial of Outcomes to Diagnosis. JAMA Pediatrics, 175(11), Article e213298. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.3298
Woolard, A., Lane, A. E., Campbell, L. E., Whalen, O. M., Swaab, L., Karayanidis, F., Barker, D., Murphy, V., & Benders, T. (2021). Infant and Child-Directed Speech Used with Infants and Children at Risk or Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder: a Scoping Review [Review]. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40489-021-00253-y
Yap, C. X., Alvares, G. A., Henders, A. K., Lin, T., Wallace, L., Farrelly, A., McLaren, T., Berry, J., Vinkhuyzen, A. A. E., Trzaskowski, M., Zeng, J., Yang, Y., Cleary, D., Grove, R., Hafekost, C., Harun, A., Holdsworth, H., Jellett, R., Khan, F., . . . Gratten, J. (2021). Analysis of common genetic variation and rare CNVs in the Australian Autism Biobank. Molecular Autism, 12(1), Article 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13229-020-00407-5
Yap, C. X., Henders, A. K., Alvares, G. A., Wood, D. L. A., Krause, L., Tyson, G. W., Restuadi, R., Wallace, L., McLaren, T., Hansell, N. K., Cleary, D., Grove, R., Hafekost, C., Harun, A., Holdsworth, H., Jellett, R., Khan, F., Lawson, L. P., Leslie, J., . . . Gratten, J. (2021). Autism-related dietary preferences mediate autism-gut microbiome associations. Cell, 184(24), 5916-5931.e5917. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2021.10.015
Our Latest Autism Research Findings
Explore our online presentation series summarising peer reviewed publications and submissions to government on topics such as diagnosis, autism in girls and women, autistic voices, school, work and mental health.
OTARC policy consultation
- Policy Brief - Health, Wellbeing and Suicide Prevention in Autism (May 2022) [PDF 148KB]
- Select Committee on Mental Health and Suicide Prevention (2021)
- The Higher Education Support Amendment Bill 2020 - potential impact on autistic higher education students (2021)
- Inquiry into access to TAFE for learners with a disability Victoria, Australia (2020)
- Select Committee on Autism (2020)
- Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System (2019) [PDF 943 KB]
- Inquiry into Services for People with Autism Spectrum Disorder (2016)
- Policy Brief - Health, Wellbeing and Suicide Prevention in Autism (2022; Portuguese translation) [PDF 163 KB]
- Learning to read the write way – A policy brief (2022)