Underloading FAQ

Do you have a question about underloading? We’re here to help.

We are encouraging students to speak to staff to understand the implications of underloading. Our staff will provide support to students based on any difficulties they may be experiencing and recommend how they can best handle their studies.

Students can speak to ASK La Trobe, an Academic Advisor or Course Coordinator who will provide accurate advice to underload subjects. The Student Handbook will also provide course structure details which will indicate if subjects must be completed in a particular order or intake.

We offer a range of support services to students who may be struggling academically or personally. One of them is students’ ability to underload under compassionate and compelling circumstances.

If the global pandemic has affected your ability to complete studies successfully please contact a staff member. Some examples of compassionate grounds could include, but are not limited to:

  • Difficult living conditions that may have impacted your capacity to complete a full study load
  • Poor internet connection which means you cannot effectively engage in online study
  • Unexpected family situations that may have been caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The fees which are paid but not allocated to a subject remain on the student account as credit towards next Semester's fees. Students can see this in their Statement of Account at any time by login into StudentOnline*.

*The Statement of Account automatically adjusts every time a subject is enrolled or withdrawn.

Yes. We encourage students to speak and consider all resources available to them before underloading. In many instances, students find that they’re able to receive assistance academically, or even personally through our Wellness team.

Students should refer to the Handbook to understand if underloading has implications for course completion. If you are unsure please speak to the College staff.

Students are recommended to refer to the Terms and Conditions of Scholarship sent to you with your offer/acceptance letter.

You do not need to notify the Department of Home Affairs of underload. However, you may need to contact the Department of Home Affairs if the underload impacts or increases the total duration of your course completion.

You need to pay the amount on your Statement of Account before the census date. Subjects have different costs associated with them. Please refer to your Statement of Account.

Students are permitted to underload if they have genuine reasons to do so. Underloading is permitted for compassionate and compelling reasons based on the impact COVID is having on our communities. However, underloading may impact the amount of time it will take for a student to complete their course, or the order they need to complete subjects. Please consider that you may need to take summer or winter subjects to complete your course within the time mentioned on your eCoE. You may also have to check its impact on your OSHC and student visa.

If underloading impacts the time you need to complete your course, you will need to request a new CoE. Your submission will need to outline the number of subjects per intake and the anticipated completion date.

College staff and Student Services will be best placed to advise if underloading is permitted. While there is no appeal available, our staff follows a fair assessment during these difficult times.

If you are unable to manage the study load ahead of an intake, students may withdraw from one or more subjects any time before the census date. Census dates are published on the website and can be viewed on your Statement of Account through StudentOnline.

Department of Home Affairs have changed the requirements for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa for those who have been impacted by COVID-19:

  • The online study undertaken outside Australia because of COVID-19 travel restrictions will count towards the Australian Study Requirement for existing and new student visa holders.
  • graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions can apply for and be granted a Temporary Graduate visa outside Australia (where they have met all the requirements).

Online study outside Australia is counted from the time of the Student visa grant.

If you are applying outside Australia, you must hold or have held a Student visa in the past 12 months to apply. For further information please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website.

If underloading impacts the time it takes to complete the course, the Student will need to request a new CoE and apply for an extension of your student visa. Department of Home Affairs will review your application and provide an outcome/decision on your student visa. For further information on student visas please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website.

We advise our students to view the course structure in the Handbook. If you are unable to determine the subject selection, we urge you to speak to an Academic Advisor or seek advice from your course coordinator. You can also contact ASK LaTrobe.

Yes. Underloading is available to both our onshore and offshore students.

Couldn't find what you are looking for? We can help!