John Richards Centre 2023 Oration (Hybrid event)
Ageing on farm is a complex process, requiring farmers to adapt and negotiate a host of changes as they transition to new realities. This is complicated by wider societal, economic, political, and climatic changes. Our expert panel will draw on their work in adaptation and transition to help situate ageing on farm in its wider context and draw out some of the opportunities this presents.
- Wednesday 25 October 2023 05:15 pm until Wednesday 25 October 2023 07:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- A/Prof Sean MacDermott, Director, John Richards Centre
- Presented by:
- John Richards Centre for Rural Ageing Research
- Type of Event:
- Alumni; Community Event; Public Lecture
- Free to register
Ageing on Farm: Adaptation and transition in times of change
A face-to-face event at La Trobe University's Albury-Wodonga Campus, and online via Zoom
Times for in person:
5:15pm (pre-event drinks and nibbles)
6:00pm - 7:00pm (oration)
Times for online:
6:00pm – 7:00pm
John Richards (1935-2023) was the 2007 recipient of the Order of Australia Medal (OAM) for ‘service to the community of the Moira Shire, in recognition of his contribution to health sector development, and to the newsagency industry through the Victorian Authorised Newsagents Association.’ A former jackaroo, soldier, and farmer, John Richards was the inaugural president of the Yarrawonga District Health Service board of management and was instrumental in the establishment of the Moira Healthcare Alliance. He was President of the Alliance from 2002 to 2005. John Richards’ vision to support ageing in country Victoria was backed by a generous donation which has enabled the establishment of the John Richards Centre at La Trobe University.
Dr Clare Wilding, Research Fellow, John Richards Centre for Rural Ageing Research, La Trobe University.
Dr Mary Johnson, Fourth generation farmer and Research Fellow RMIT
Dr Susan Brumby, Deputy Chair of the Western Victoria Primary Health Network and Founding Director of the National Centre for Farmer Health.
Moderated by Professor Lauren Rickards, Chair of Climate Change Adaptation and Director of the Climate Change Adaptation Lab, La Trobe University.
Main Lecture Theatre and Foyer, Building 6, La Trobe University Albury-Wodonga Campus, 133 McKoy Street, Wodonga 3690
Other events by type
- Exploring the cultural phenomenon of the dick pic
22 Sept 2023 6:30 pm
- Maritime Security and Hedging in the South China Sea
26 Sept 2023 11:00 am
- Ideas & Society Program: Disability and Australian Society: How Well Are We Doing?
5 Oct 2023 5:00 pm
- Out In Suburbia: The Untold Story of LGBTIQ+ People in Australia's Outer Suburbs
6 Oct 2023 9:30 am
- John Richards Centre 2023 Oration (Hybrid event)
25 Oct 2023 5:15 pm