La Trobe Sport and Exercise Medicine Research Centre
MBBS, DRCOG, DipRACOG, FACSP, FASMF, FACSM, FFSEM, FSEM(Ire)
Membership of professional associations
Australasian College of Sports Physicians, Sports Medicine Australia, British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine
Peter Brukner is a specialist sports and exercise physician currently working with the Australian cricket team. Peter is the founding partner of Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre in Melbourne and Professor of Sports Medicine at La Trobe University. A founding Executive Member of the Australasian College of Sports Physicians, he served two terms as President and played a key role in establishing sports medicine as a medical specialty in Australia. Peter is the co-author of the widely used text book Clinical Sports Medicine and has been team physician for professional football clubs as well as national athletics, swimming, soccer and men’s hockey teams including Olympic and Commonwealth Games. Peter was the Socceroos Team Doctor at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and more recently Head of Sports Medicine and Sports Science at Liverpool Football Club. He is Associate Editor of the British Journal of Sports Medicine and has published over 100 research articles in a wide variety of sports medicine topics.
Peter has been awarded Honorary Fellowships of the Australian Sports Medicine Federation and of the American College of Sports Medicine. His contribution to sports medicine has been recognised by the award of the inaugural Citation for Distinguished Service by the Australian College of Sports Physicians, Distinguished Service Award of Sports Medicine Australia, and the Citation Award of the American College of Sports Medicine. In 2006 Peter was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for services to sports medicine.
- Inge K, PD Brukner: Food for Sport Renee Gordon, 1986. Reprinted 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991. 1993, 1994, (22,000 copies)
- Brukner PD, K Khan: Clinical Sports Medicine McGraw Hill, Sydney 1993. Reprinted 1993, 1993, 1994, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 (40,000 copies), Korean edition, 1994
- Brukner PD, Bennell K, Matheson GO: Stress Fractures Blackwells Scientific, Melbourne, 1999
- Brukner PD and K Khan: Clinical Sports Medicine 2nd edition McGraw Hill, Sydney 2001
- Kron J, Brukner PD, Khan K. The Encyclopedia of Exercise and Sport Health, Allen and Unwin, St Leonards, 2004
- Higgins R, Brukner PD, English B. Essential Sports Medicine, Blackwells, London 2005
- Brukner PD and K Khan: Clinical Sports Medicine 3rd edition McGraw Hill, Sydney 2006
- Franklyn-Miller A, Falvey A, McCrory P, Brukner P. Clinical Sports Anatomy. McGraw Hill, Sydney 2010
- Brukner PD and K Khan: Brukner and Khan’s Clinical Sports Medicine 4th edition McGraw Hill, Sydney 2012
- Brukner PD and Inge K: “Sports Nutrition” in Sports Medicine of the Lower Extemity by S. Subotnick, Churchill Livingstone 1988
- Brukner PD:“Medical problems of the female athlete”In Dyer K. (ed) : Sportswomen Towards 2000 1989
- Brukner PD “Drugs in Sport” in Sports Physiotherapy Churchill Livingstone, Melbourne, 1995
- Brukner PD and K Khan: “Emergencies in Sports Medicine” in Sports Physiotherapy Churchill Livingstone, Melbourne, 1995
- Brukner PD: “The role of nutrition in the prevention of injury” in Olympic Book of Sport Medicine Volume 4 Ed. Renstrom P., Blackwells Oxford , 1994
- Brukner PD:“The Tired Tennis Player” in Tennis: Sports Medicine and Science. Eds. H. Krahl, H.G. Pieper. W.B. Kibler, P.A. Renstrom; Walter Rau Verlag, Dusseldorf, 1995.
- Brukner PD: “Endocrinological Problems” in Medical Problems of Exercise. Eds P.A. Fricker, B. Fields; Churchill Livingstone, 1997.
- Brukner PD: "Overuse Injuries In the Elite Athlete" In Topics In Sports Medicine for GP's. Ed. P.O.L. Goh, Singapore Sports Council, 1997
- Brukner PD & K Crichton: “Rugby Injuries” in The Spiral Manual of Sports Medicine. Eds M. Safran, S. Van Camp and D. McKeag; Little, Brown and Company, 1998.
- Matheson G.O., Ford P., Brukner P., Brock R. and Norris R.: "Preparation for Emergencies in Sport in The Spiral Manual of Sports Medicine. Eds M. Safran, S. Van Camp and D. McKeag; Little, Brown and Company, 1998.
- Brukner PD, Matheson G.O., “Overuse Injuries” Textbook of Rheumatology. Ed:E. Harris, Churchill Livingstone 2000
- Brukner PD & K.Bennell. “Stress Fractures” in The Complete Book of Running Medicine. F.O'Connor, R.Wilder., McGraw Hill 2001
- Bennell K. & P. Brukner. “Treatment of stress fractures” in Evidence-based Sports Medicine. Eds MacAuley D, Best T. BMJ Publishing, London, 2002
- Brukner PD & K.Bennell. “Stress fractures: Their causes and principles of treatment” in The Foot and Ankle in Sport, 2nd ed, Baxter D, Porter D. Elesevier Science, Philadelphia 2007
- Warden SJ, Burr DB, Brukner PD. “Repetitive stress pathology – Bone” in Magee DJ, Zachazewski JE, Quillen WS: Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation: Treatment of Pathology and Injuries Elsevier Inc. 2008
- Creaby MW, Brukner PD, Bennell KL. “Stress fracture/stress reaction of the lower leg and foot” in Management of Chronic Conditions in the Foot and Lower Leg, Rome K & McNair P (eds), Churchill Livingstone Elesevier, Edinburgh, 2015
Recent papers in refereed journals
- Orchard JW, Blanch P, Paoloni J, Kountouris A, Sims K, Orchard JJ, Brukner P. Fast bowling match workloads over 5-26 days and risk of injury in the following month. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 18(1):26-30, 2015
- Orchard JW, Blanch P, Paoloni J, Kountouris A, Sims K, Orchard JJ, Brukner P. Cricket fast bowling workload patterns as risk factors for tendon, muscle, bone and joint injuries British Journal of Sports Medicine 2015 Mar 9. pii: bjsports-2014-093683. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2014-093683. [Epub ahead of print]
- Orchard JW, Kountouris A, Sims K, Orchard JJ, Beakley D, Brukner P. Change to injury profile of elite male cricketers in the T20 era. New Zealand Journal of Sports Medicine 42(1):1 3-17, 2015
- Weir A, Brukner P, Delahunt, Ekstrand J, Griffin D, Khan KM, Lovell G, Meyers WC, Muschaweck U, Orchard J, Paajanen H, Philippon M, Reboul G, Robinson P, Schache AG, Schilders E, Serner A, Silvers H, Thorborg K, Tyler T, Verrall G, de Vos R-J, Vuckovic Z, Hölmich P. Doha agreement meeting on terminology and definitions in groin pain in athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine 49:768-774, 2015
- Brukner P. Hamstring injuries: prevention and treatment – an update. British Journal of Sports Medicine 49(19):1241-1244, 2015
- Olivier B, Taljaard T, Burger E, Brukner P, Orchard J, Gray J, Botha N, Stewart A, Mckinon W. Which extrinsic and intrinsic factors are associated with non-contact injuries in adult cricket fast bowlers? Sports Medicine 2015 Sep 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brukner P, Connell D. "Serious thigh muscle strains”: beware the intramuscular tendon which plays an important role in difficult hamstring and quadriceps muscle strains. British Journal of Sports Medicine (in press)