Tourism and Hospitality Research Unit
PhD (La Trobe), B.Commerce. (Melb), B.A (Melb)
Area of study
Tourism and Hospitality Management
Dr Warwick Frost worked at La Trobe from 1987 to 1996 and after stints at RMIT and Monash University, returned to Bundoora in 2009. He was involved in the development of both the Tourism & Hospitality and Events degrees, serving as the first course co-ordinator for both programs. His research interests are in four areas:
1) Nature-based tourism, particularly national parks and zoos
2) Cultural heritage
3) Tourism and the media
He is Editor of the Routledge Advances in Events Research Book Series and Convenor of the International Tourism and Media Conference series, which has been staged biennially since 2004.
He is an elected member of La Trobe's Academic Board.
Film induced tourism and Tourism and Media
- Tourism, Heritage, Tourism and the Media, Events
BUS5AQM Advanced Qualitative Methods, THS2HME Hallmark Events, THS1FEM The Event Experience
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (eds) (2018). Exhibitions, Trade Fairs and Industrial Events. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Warwick Frost, Jennifer Laing, Paul Strickland, Kim Williams, Gary Best and Clare Lade (2016). Gastronomy, Tourism and the Media. Bristol: Channel View.
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2015). Imagining the American West through Films and Travel. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (eds) (2015). Traditional Rituals and Events in the Modern World. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2014). Explorer Travellers and Adventure Tourism. Bristol: Channel View.
- Kim Williams, Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (eds) (2014). Fashion, Design and Events. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Matt Harvey, Leanne White and Warwick Frost (eds) (2014). Wine and Identity: Branding, Heritage, Terroir. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2013). Commemorative Events: Identity, Memory, Conflict. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2012). Books and Travel: Inspirations, Quests and Transformations. Bristol: Channel View.
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2011). Strategic Management of Events and Festivals. Melbourne: Cengage.
- Warwick Frost (ed) (2011). Zoos and Tourism: Conservation, Education, Entertainment? Bristol: Channel View.
- Warwick Frost and C. Michael Hall (eds.) (2009). National Parks and Tourism: International Perspectives on Development, Histories and Change. London and New York: Routledge. Paperback edition published 2015.
- Warwick Frost, 2004. Travel and Tour Management. Pearson: Sydney.
- Madelene McWha, Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2017). Sustainable Travel Writing: Exploring the Ethical Dimensions of 21st Century Travel Writers. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 25: 10, 1401-1417.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2017). Journeys of Well-Being: Women's Travel Narratives of Transforamtion and Self-Discovery in Italy. Tourism Management, 62, 110-119.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2015). Avoiding Burnout: The Succession Planning, Governance and Resourcing of Rural Tourism Festivals. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 23: 8/9, 1298-1317.
- Dale Sanders, Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2015). Exploring the Role and Importance of Post-Disaster Events in Rural Communities. Journal of Rural Studies, 41, 82-94.
- Maddy McWha, Warwick Frost, Jennifer Laing and Gary Best (2015). Writing for the Anti-Tourist: Imagining the contemporary travel magazine reader as an authentic experience seeker. Current Issues in Tourism.
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2015). On the Trail of Errol Flynn: Explorations in Autoethnography. Tourism Analysis, 20, 283-296.
- Warwick Frost, Jennifer Laing and Sue Beeton (2014). The Future of Nature-Based Tourism in the Asia Pacific Region. Journal of Travel Research, 53: 6, 721-732.
- Jennifer Laing, Fiona Wheeler, Keir Reeves and Warwick Frost (2014). Assessing the Experiential Value of Heritage Assets: A Case Study of a Chinese Heritage Precinct, Bendigo, Australia. Tourism Management, 40, 180-192.
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2014). Fictional Media and Imagining Escape to Rural Villages. Tourism Geographies, 16: 2, 207-220.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2013). Food, Wine … Heritage, Identity? Two Case Studies of Italian Diaspora Festivals in Regional Victoria. Tourism Analysis, 18:3, 323-334.
- Warwick Frost and Jennifer Laing (2013). Communicating Persuasive Messages through Slow Food Festivals. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 19: 1, 67-74.
- Warwick Frost (2013). The Environmental Impacts of the Victorian Gold Rushes: Miners’ Accounts during the First Five Years. Australian Economic History Review, 53: 1, 72-90.
- Warwick Frost, Keir Reeves, Jennifer Laing & Fiona Wheeler (2012). A Golden Connection: Exploring the Challenges of Developing Interpretation Strategies for a Chinese Heritage Precinct on the Central Victorian Goldfields. Historic Environment, 24: 1, 35-40.
- Warwick Frost (2012). Commemorative Events and Heritage in Former Capitals: A Case Study of Melbourne. Current Issues in Tourism, 15: ½, 51-60.
- Fiona Wheeler, Warwick Frost and Betty Weiler (2011). Destination Brand Identity, Values and Community: A Case Study from Rural Victoria, Australia. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 28: 1, 13-26.
- Warwick Frost (2010). Life-Changing Experiences: Film and Tourists in the Australian Outback. Annals of Tourism Research, 37: 3, 707-726.
- Jennifer Laing and Warwick Frost (2010). How Green was my Festival: Exploring Challenges and Opportunities Associated with Staging Green Events. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 29: 2, 261-7.
- Warwick Frost (2009). Projecting an image: Film-induced festivals in the American West. Event Management, 12: 2, 95-103.
- Warwick Frost (2006). Braveheart-ed Ned Kelly: historic films, heritage tourism and destination image. Tourism Management, 27: 2, 247-254.