With its incredible harbour and green spaces, Sydney is considered one of the most beautiful and liveable cities in the world. The Sydney city and surrounds is made of up of a range of diverse 'villages' with their own unique identity and character and we encourage you to explore as much as you can.
The city offers a range of accommodation options to suit your lifestyle and budget. Many of our students start off in student accommodation or homestay when they first arrive, before moving into rented share accommodation with friends.
Most students live within thirty minutes of the Sydney Campus by public transport, which is located right in the heart of the CBD, directly opposite Hyde Park. Making it easy for you to access wherever you decide to make your home.
While we don't manage accommodation, we have some great contacts to help you find the perfect place to stay while studying with us. Below are some of our recommendations.
Our homestay accommodation is organised through Auzzie Families. They offer a unique personalised accommodation service for students and visitors of all ages, and give you the opportunity to experience living with an Australian family (Homestay). From your arrival to your departure you will receive ongoing support.
Auzzie Families homestay care offers:
- Personalised care to make your stay safe and special
- A link between you and your accommodation provider, ensuring that both are happy. Host families are hand picked with care and are welcoming, clean, friendly, easy going and helpful.
- Ongoing support during your entire stay
- The opportunity to experience the 'real' Australia – have fun learning the idiom and humour of the language and discover a forthright, gentle and fun-loving people.
- A range of services to suit your needs including group bookings.
- An extensive database of families waiting to welcome you into their homes.
You can choose between single or shared room (if booking with a friend or family), with or without meals on the weekend, even executive style homestay or granny flats.
Pricing differs according to homestay type. A weekly rental rate ranges from A$205 for a twin share no meals option, to $440 per week for executive homestay. Placement and administration fees apply.
For more information or to secure your accommodation today, visit the Auzzie Families website at
Iglu student accommodation
Purpose built for students, Iglu Student Accommodation offers the supportive benefits of student accommodation along with the flexibility of an off-campus lifestyle.
Choose a 4, 5 or 6 bedroom share apartment, with your own secure bedroom and ensuite or twin-share bathroom, if you want to live with friends or make some new ones. If you would prefer your own space, a studio apartment with private en-suite bathroom is the perfect option.
You can choose between two locations – Iglu Central and Iglu Chatswood. Both are located within easy reach of major universities and colleges, public transport, shopping, eating, fitness and entertainment facilities.
Iglu Central is set amongst Sydney's vibrant Broadway area with everything you need on the doorstep and only a short bus or train ride to our campus.
Chatswood is a vibrant, bustling suburb on Sydney's north shore, and is less than 15 minutes from the La Trobe University Sydney Campus via train.
Pricing differs according to room type and location. A weekly rental rate ranges from around A$346 to $496 per week (Chatswood), A$408 to $530 per week (Central) and includes all utilities and a base internet package. A security deposit is required.
Choose from the following:
- Single bedroom, 6 share apartment
- Single bedroom, 5 share apartment
- Single bedroom, 4 share apartment
- Single bedroom, 2 share apartment
- Studio apartment
- Super studio apartment
- Premium studio apartment.
- Air-conditioning, heating and ensuite bathrooms
- Free student community events and activities
- High speed wireless internet throughout the building
- A safe and secure environment with 24-hour hospitality
- Onsite laundry and bicycle storage
- Games areas, courtyard with BBQs, study areas and more.
For more information or to secure your accommodation today, visit iglu.com.au/student-accommodation/sydney
urbanest is student accommodation in the city, where you can enjoy a superb lifestyle with the best rooms, study areas and social spaces.
You can choose from a variety of locations all within close proximity to the La Trobe University Sydney Campus, with the following two recommended options in particular that you can further explore:
- Sydney Central - located in the educational and cultural hub of inner-city of Ultimo, it is only a short walk to the Broadway Shopping Centre, and near the trendy area of Glebe.
- Quay street - urbanest Quay Street is in the highly sought after suburb of Haymarket bordering Chinatown renowned for its bargain shopping and irresistible Asian restaurants. An ideal location for students within easy reach of Sydney universities and two blocks from Central Station.
Pricing differs according to room type. A 12-month weekly rental rate ranges from around A$320 to $540 per week (includes all utilities and a base internet package). A security deposit required.
Choose from the following:
- Twin share studio
- Twin ensuite
- Single ensuite room
- Single ensuite room
- Large studio.
- Intelligently designed apartments and studios that combine style and practicality
- Wireless internet throughout the building
- State-of-the-art security systems, swipe card access and CCTV
- Large outdoor courtyard with BBQ, large community kitchen, tables and benches
- Fully equipped gym
- A large social area on the ground floor with comfortable seating
- Big screen TV and games room
- iMac stations
- A modern coin operated laundry
- Secure bike store.
For more information visit urbanest.com.au
UniLodge offers beautifully appointed self-contained, furnished studio apartments conveniently located close to public transport, universities, cafes and more. Choose a twin or balcony bunk, if you wan to live with a friend or make a new one. If you would prefer your own space, a studio apartment with private en-suite bathroom is the perfect option.
UniLodge offers student accommodation at three different locations and each of them is unique and varies in the room types offered and pricing. UniLodge Wattle Lane, located in Ultimo, offers only studio apartments and is more suitable for mature students. UniLodge on Broadway is an excellent choice if you are a student looking for accommodation that offers convenience, safety and security. There is even a swimming pool, spa and gymnasium in the building for students to use.
Pricing differs according to room type and location. A weekly rental rate ranges from around A$385 to $610 per week and includes all utilities & a base internet package. A security deposit is required.
There are a lot of different room options available, depending on location and your budget – twin share, standard/deluxe studio apartments, loft apartments, apartments with or without air-conditioning, with or without balconies and so on. Check all locations to find the one that fits your lifestyle and budget best.
Features and facilities depend on your location – most have BBQ areas and amazing roof tops, private study rooms, secure building access, high speed internet and more.
For more information or to secure your accommodation today, visit the unilodge.com.au/city/sydney
After settling into life at university. many of our students decide to move into a private rental with their friends. Suburbs with the highest La Trobe University Sydney Campus student population include Rhodes, Burwood and Zetland but anywhere with good public transport links is ideal.
If you are looking for a room in an existing sharehouse, try Gumtree or Flatmates.com.au however, if you and a group of friends are looking to rent your own house or apartment together - here are the two largest rental accommodation websites:
Rights and responsibilities
It's fair to say that the laws around renting a property may be different in Sydney, in fact there are different laws in each state of Australia. Therefore, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a tenant before signing a lease.
Some useful information for you:
Image courtesy Destination NSW.