Apply to transfer from Honours to Masters by research
Are you in your final semester of your Honours degree?
As current arts and science Honours students at La Trobe, you have an opportunity to expand and develop your current research by transferring into the Master of Arts or Master of Science degrees and apply for a dedicated stipend valued at A$23,410 to support your research.
- you will build on the foundations that you’ve already developed during your Honours year and explore your project in further depth
- you will have access to a dedicated pool of competitive scholarships available only to Masters applicants
- as a graduate research candidate, you will benefit from the full suite of research development opportunities offered by the University’s Research Education and Developmen (RED) team
- you may transfer directly into the second year of a Masters by Research degree and can submit a completed thesis at this standard at any time, or, if you're an international student, apply for entry directly into the second year
- you may be in a position to graduate with a globally recognised Masters degree in almost one year
- with a Masters by research degree you will have a competitive edge if you decide later to apply for a doctoral degree
- if you transfer to a Masters degree and choose not to complete it, you can change your mind at any time and graduate from your current Honours degree.
If you're a sponsored student, ensure your sponsor supports this step.
Please note that if you are currently enrolled in an Honours program in Psychology, transferring to the Masters by Research will mean that you will no longer be on a pathway to provisional registration with the Psychology Board of Australia as you will not graduate with an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited Level 2 program (e.g. 4th or Honours year of psychology study).
- Complete the appropriate application form with your supervisor and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 September 2021.
- You will be commencing in the second year of the Master of Arts and will be provided with progress milestones.
- These will be a Pre-Submission review (6 months from commencement) and an Expected Work Submission Date (8 months from commencement).
- Your Expected Work Submission Date can be postponed up to your Maximum Candidature Date (12 months from commencement).
The transfer process is outlined below:
Monday 20 September 2021|
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM (AEST)
Student Info Session via zoom – link included in the invitation email
|Monday 27 September 2021|
Applications to transfer due at email@example.com (student and supervisor sections completed) – student to submit.
Monday 18 October 2021
Conditional candidature offers are sent
Monday 1 November 2021
Acceptances due at firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday 19 November 2021
The official release of results
Friday 17 December 2021
Students notified if conditions of the offer have been met and scholarship offers sent to successful recipients
Monday 7 February 2022
Transfer students commence in the Masters
Early March 2022
Withdrawn from Bachelor (Honours) degree
If you need further information, please make sure to check the following resources: