Higher degrees by research

For Master's by Research, Professional Doctorate or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), you’ll need to follow these steps.

Step 1: choose your topic

Step 2: check your eligibility

Check that you meet the academic entry requirements for your program.

  • an approved international equivalent of an Australian Master's degree at a minimum H2A standard
  • an approved international equivalent of an Australian Bachelor's degree with an honours year at a minimum H2A standard.

Step 3: check the English language requirements

Check you meet the English language proficiency requirements of your course. If you don't meet these requirements, you can apply and submit another test score before or on accepting your offer.

Step 4: make contact

Contact a potential research supervisor. If you need help, contact us.

Step 5: gather your documents

Apply via the postgraduate research application form [PDF 72KB]. Your academic referee will need to submit the additional academic referee report form [PDF 107KB].

If you need help writing your research proposal for your application, download our guide to writing a research proposal [PDF 48KB].

If you need further help with your application and visa, contact one of our overseas representatives.

Step 6: submit your application

Once you contact an academic supervisor who is interested in supervising your topic, submit your application.

Make sure you include:

  • the completed and signed application form
  • a 300 word research proposal
  • Bachelor and Master's degree transcripts
  • your CV (professional résumé) including details of your research background, academic publications, awards or achievements and past research experience
  • a copy of your master thesis (with at least two chapters translated into English if it’s not written in English)
  • evidence of academic English proficiency (optional).

Send your application to:

La Trobe International
La Trobe University
Victoria 3086
Fax: 03 9479 3660
Email LTI Research

We’ll check your application and forward it to the College and Higher Degrees Committee for assessment, which can take up to 12 weeks. We’ll then tell you whether your application was successful. If you’re successful, you’ll receive an offer from La Trobe along with instructions on how to accept.

Applying for a scholarship

If you apply for a La Trobe Postgraduate Research Scholarship, Fee Remission Research Scholarship or an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, your application must be received by 30 September if you want to start at La Trobe the following year.

You can apply at any time of the year if you are not applying for a scholarship, but we will need enough time to process your application and visa before the semester starts.

Do you have questions about the application process?