Opening date

Closing date



Who is it for?

Future undergraduates, 1st year undergraduates

Where is it available?

Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Melbourne, Mildura, Shepparton

How is it paid?

Single Payment


Care leavers are people who spent time in formal out-of-home care (e.g. foster care, residential care, kinship care, ward of the State) before they were 18 and have subsequently transitioned out of the system. La Trobe University would like to encourage care leavers and young people still in out-of-home care to apply for university.

To assist care leavers starting university, all eligible commencing undergraduate domestic students who have spent time in formal out-of-home care, and who apply by the due date, will receive the La Trobe University Care Leaver Bursary.

Are you eligible to apply?

To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:

  • Have spent time in formal, statutory out-of-home care; and
  • Be commencing an undergraduate degree at La Trobe University in 2020 (commencing students are defined as those starting a university course at first year undergraduate level for the first time at any institution.); and
  • Be enrolled as a Commonwealth supported or domestic fee paying student.

Recipients of the scholarship shall be selected by the University based on their:

Expression of Interest and supporting documentation.

How to apply

Complete the Expression of Interest by the bursary closing date and email documentation supporting your out of home care to Be sure to include supporting documentation for your time in out-of-home care.

This may be a letter from a responsible person (such as a counsellor, GP, lawyer, teacher, social worker that is aware of your circumstances), documentation from the department of human services, court documents, documentation from your out of home care provider or a statutory declaration.

Who to contact for further information

Scholarships Office,