Lapsed candidature

If you haven’t submitted your thesis by your Maximum Completion Date, and if you have not received an approved extension, your candidature will lapse for a period of 12 months.

If your candidature has lapsed, it means that

  • you will no longer be enrolled
  • you are no longer formally entitled to supervision
  • you can’t carry out any lab or field work, because you’re not covered by University insurance.

If you are an international student, a lapsed candidature may impact your visa. You should seek advice from the La Trobe International Compliance team immediately.

When your candidature lapses, you will still have access to your email address and library services. During these 12 months, you can submit your thesis any time. Read more about the submission and examination process.

If you don’t submit your thesis by the end of the lapsed period you will be withdrawn from your degree.

Can I re-enrol after my candidature has been lapsed?

You can apply to revive your candidature within three years of withdrawal. You will need to detail any change of research project and supervision arrangements when you apply.

To revive your candidature, you will need to submit a Revive Candidature Application form.

If more than three years have passed since you were withdrawn from your candidature, you will need to apply for a new admission to the degree.