Learn about the study options of the Department of Public Health.
If you're interested in community health, rehabilitation counselling, athlete welfare and health performance, public health or health promotion or are unsure which area of health science is for you, a Health Sciences degree can help you find your niche.
Our Bachelor of Health Sciences lets you pursue up to two specialised areas including:
- Health and medical sciences
- Public health
- Health promotion
- Rehabilitation counselling
- Health, wellbeing and performance.
The aim of public health practice is to prevent disease, prolong life and promote the health and wellbeing of people in society. As a graduate you may work in health administration, health protection and health promotion for the public sector or with non-government organisations.
The Master of Public Health provides internationally recognised training in six streams of health policy, health promotion, global health, health leadership, workplace health and rehabilitation, and health and social care. It may be taken as a double degree with Master of Health Administration. We also offer a Graduate Certificate in Public Health.
Health Information Management, Health Classification and Informatics
Study the business side of medicine and be part of a team working in a wide range of health care settings including hospitals, health services, health-related research centres and government health departments.
La Trobe's digital health courses equip you with the skills and expertise required to work in this expanding and essential field – across environments as diverse as hospitals and primary care practice, to insurance and the corporate sector.
Ergonomics, Safety and Health
The accredited Ergonomics, Safety and Health program at La Trobe is unique. It is designed to provide theoretical and practical knowledge of Occupational Health and Ergonomics, enabling graduates two career pathways. Graduates work in a range of public and private sector organisations.
Lead and manage a health service, a department or service in a clinical specialist role, or undertake project management for a facility or system.
Health Administration develops your theoretical knowledge and skills in planning, policy, and management and leadership positions.
The La Trobe China Health Program (CHP) contributes to the development of health care in China through teaching, research and project cooperation. The CHP works in association with Chinese universities and other organisations in China to build academic capacity in health management education, health services research and health policy research and teaching.
Honours in Public Health offers a dynamic program across a range of specialisations including health administration, health information management, health policy, health sciences, rehabilitation counselling, health promotion, behaviour change in sport, exercise and rehabilitation, and ergonomics and occupational health and safety.
The major assessment task is an independent research thesis, worth 70% of the overall Honours mark. The remaining 30% comes from the completion of coursework subjects.
To be eligible for Honours, students must have a minimum course weighted mark of 70.
Students transferring to La Trobe University for Honours are encouraged to contact an Honours Coordinator to discuss eligibility.
How to apply
1. Contact a potential supervisor
Students interested in applying for Honours are encouraged to discuss your preferences directly with academic members of staff. Many academics are also open to discussing other project ideas.
2. Receive your letter of invitation
Students will be invited by letter from the College to apply for Honours once their results and eligibility are known. These letters are typically sent out around mid-December or mid-July. This is not a guarantee of entry; students must also have an agreement with a willing supervisor under whose tutelage they will study.
To enrol you must complete an online application.
There is one Honours intake per year beginning in February.
Enrolment for Semester 1 must be completed by the first Monday in February. This is also the starting date for Feb-cohort Honours students.
Some students may qualify for financial assistance, including the La Trobe Honours Year Grant Scheme. This has a closing date in late January of each year - consider applying even if you plan to start mid-year.
Contact the Honours coordinator or the AccessAbility Hub for more information.
Department of Public Health - Honours coordinator
T: (03) 9479 2639