Shared Decision Making: Literature
On this page we provide you with links to open source articles that we have found helpful to understand shared decision making and how it can be implemented. The links and content of each category will be regularly updated as new resources are identified.
If you have any questions or want to suggest resources you think should be included on this Community of Practice, please email us.
New downloadable Book
‘Achieving Person-Centred Care Systems, Evidence, Strategies and Challenges’ was published by Cambridge University Press in July 2020. This great book includes a chapter - Chapter 11 - by France Legaré, Dawn Stacey and others, which is a comprehensive overview of shared decision making (SDM). It covers definitions, law and policy support in various countries including Australia, outcomes of SDM, practical tools, measurement issues and what is needed for moving forward.
The book is free to download and is essential background reading for anyone involved in SDM policy, planning and implementation.
Effectiveness of decision aids
- Dawn Stacey et al., 2017. Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001431.pub2
- Annette O'Connor et al., 2007. Do patient decision aids meet effectiveness criteria of the international patient decision aid standards collaboration? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Medical Decision Making. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X07307319
- Annette O'Connor et al., 2008. Coaching to support patients in making decisions. BMJ. Access here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2223006/
- Dawn Stacey et al., 2019. Are Patient Decision Aids Used in Clinical Practice after Rigorous Evaluation? A Survey of Trial Authors. Medical Decision Making. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X19868193
- Thom Walsh et al., 2014. Undetermined impact of patient decision support interventions on healthcare costs and savings: systematic review. BMJ. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g188
- Gabriel Bilodeau et al., 2019. Reducing complexity of patient decision aids for community-based older adults with dementia and their caregivers: multiple case study of Decision Boxes. BMJ Open. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-027727
Shared decision making with culturally and linguistically diverse populations
- Janet Jull et al., 2015. Cultural adaptation of a shared decision making tool with Aboriginal women: a qualitative study. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. Access here: https://bmcmedinformdecismak.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12911-015-0129-7
- Hankiz Dolan, et al. 2019. Culture, Self, and Medical Decision Making in Australia and China: A Structural Model Analysis. Medical Decision Making Policy & Practice. Access here https://doi.org/10.1177/2381468319871018
Literacy and shared decision making
- Kirsten McCaffery et al., 2010. The challenge of shared decision making among patients with lower literacy: a framework for research and development. Medical Decision Making. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X09342279
- Danielle Muscat et al., 2016. Can adults with low literacy understand shared decision making questions? A qualitative investigation. Patient Education and Counseling. Access here https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2016.05.008
- Danielle Muscat, et al., 2018. Beyond dialysis decisions: a qualitative exploration of decision-making among culturally and linguistically diverse adults with chronic kidney disease on haemodialysis. BMC Nephrology. Access here https://www.doi.org/10.1186/s12882-018-1131-y
- Karen Sepucha et al., 2013. Establishing the effectiveness of patient decision aids: key constructs and measurement instruments. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6947-13-S2-S12
- Suzanne Brodney, et al., 2019. Comparison of Three Measures of Shared Decision Making: SDM Process_4, CollaboRATE, and SURE Scales. Medical Decision Making. Access here https://www.doi.org/10.1177/0272989X19855951
Communicating with consumers
- Neal Maskrey, 2019. Shared decision making: why the slow progress? An essay by Neal Maskrey. BMJ. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l6762
Shared decision making and policy
- Jennifer Blumenthal-Barby et al., 2019. Potential unintended consequences of recent shared decision making policy initiatives. Health Affairs. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.00243
Shared decision making in Australia
- Tara Dimopoulos-Bick et al., 2019. Shared decision making implementation: a case study analysis to increase uptake in New South Wales. Australian Health Review. Access here: https://doi.org/10.1071/AH18138
- Lyndal Trevena, et al., 2017. Shared decision making in Australia in 2017. Zeitschrift für Evidenz, Fortbildung und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen. Access here https://doi.org/10.1016/j.zefq.2017.05.011
- Emma Spencer, et al., 2020. Opening the lines of communication: towards shared decision making and improved end‐of‐life care in the Top End. Medical Journal of Australia. Access here https://www.doi.org/10.5694/mja2.50656