La Trobe Asia has been established to provide leadership on all aspects of the University's engagement with Asia. It is a unique effort by an Australian university to focus on Asia with a 'whole of University' perspective and to make Asia a key part of our teaching, research and external engagement. The creation of La Trobe Asia reflects our belief in the importance of the ways in which Asia is changing both to Australia and the world and the need for universities to provide leadership in grappling with these momentous changes.
La Trobe has a long history of expertise in Asia: it is one of two universities in Australia that teach the major Asian languages Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian and Hindi; it pioneered Asian Studies in Australia; and from its foundation has developed strong links with universities across the region.
La Trobe Asia:
- established and maintains an Asia Knowledge Hub that centralises the University's rich knowledge of Asia so that it can be better used by staff and students
- provides a focal point for the University's many scholars who are engaged in research and teaching on and in the region and showcases their work
- connects external stakeholders to our active, policy-relevant research community
- strengthens and deepens our external networks in region, including with university, governments, think tanks and NGOs
- hosts public events, seminars and conferences
- leads and informs public debate in Australia about Asia and contributes to public debate in the region
La Trobe Asia Adjunct Professor - Professor Vivian Lin
Professor Vivian Lin has been appointed La Trobe Asia's inaugural Adjunct Professor, for a period of three years (2021 - 2023).
Professor Lin has a long history of public health service and research in a number of countries across the Asian region. She is currently the Executive Associate Dean of LKS Faculty of Medicine and Chair of Public Health at Hong Kong University, one of the highest-ranked universities in Asia.
Her previous roles include the Head of the School of Public Health (2000-2005) and Chair of Public Health (2000-2013) at La Trobe University, and she was the Director of Health Systems Division for the World Health Organization (WHO) for the Western Pacific Region from 2013-2018, where she led on the global priorities of universal health coverage and sustainable development goals.
Professor Lin's role as the La Trobe Asia Adjunct Professor will be to represent and champion La Trobe’s research profile and credentials across the region, advise and support the La Trobe community engaged in Asia-related research and collaboration, and have a strong involvement in developing strategies for growing La Trobe’s regional reputation.
If you would like to become a 'member' of La Trobe Asia to ensure you are informed of our activities and opportunities, click on the relevant link below to provide your details.
Our team and contact details
Why La Trobe Asia was established
La Trobe Asia's executive and governance