About La Trobe Art Institute
La Trobe Art Institute is a contemporary art centre like no other in regional Victoria.
Located in the heart of Bendigo’s arts precinct, opposite Bendigo Art Gallery in historic View Street, our resources include:
- two galleries with adjacent courtyards and common areas devoted to curated contemporary art exhibitions
- an artist’s studio for periodic residencies by La Trobe alumni
- an apartment for visiting artists, curators, writers and researchers
- hireable spaces – an auditorium and meeting room with large rear courtyard – for the benefit of the North Central Victorian community and beyond.
We offer stimulating social spaces for all our communities.
- Our programs support artists and curators to experiment and engage with audiences in new ways.
- Our public programs surprise, enrich and challenge the conversation.
- Short courses and education programs provide lifelong learning opportunities.
We are the custodian of the University’s seven art collections and offer curatorial expertise, mediation and interpretation of art and culture on our Victorian campuses. The art collections enhance and energise teaching and learning, research and campus life.
Image: Kay Abude, WORK WORTH DOING (performance documentation), 2019, digital photograph on adhesive vinyl. © Kay Abude. Courtesy the artist. Photo: Ian Hill