Applying to study at ARCSHS
To apply for Master's candidature, you will need satisfactory completion of La Trobe University's combined Bachelor/Master's degree with a minimum weighted average of 70% across graded subjects in years three and four (or equivalent part-time years).
Satisfactory completion of La Trobe University's graduate entry Master's degree with a minimum weighted average of 70% across graded subjects
Bachelor degree in a relevant field, or equivalent professional qualifications and experience with a demonstrated capacity to successfully complete higher degree research through evidence of one or more of the following research-related achievements:
- successful completion of research methods coursework
- successful research grant applications
- participation in a substantial research project
- peer-reviewed publications
- conference presentations
- professional reports or clinical guidelines
- product development
- policy development or implementation
Two academic referee reports indicating a high level of academic ability, research potential, ability to complete graduate research, and capacity for oral and written communication in English.
(details can also be found at : https://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/apply/research/doctor)
To apply for PhD candidature, you will need one of the following:
- an Australian Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline completed within the last ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 70 or above; OR
- an Australian Bachelors (Honours) degree, Masters by coursework or ungraded Masters by research degree completed within the last ten years where you achieved a weighted average mark of 70 or above across any coursework subjects; and
- your degree includes a research thesis of 15,000-20,000 words*; or
- your degree includes a written research component comprising at least 3/8 of one year*; or
- you are the lead author of a peer-reviewed publication or other research published within the last ten years*
*The written research component of your application will be evaluated according to the La Trobe Masters by research criteria and will need to be assessed at a standard of 70 or above.
As an international applicant, you will also need to provide evidence that you meet the minimum English language requirements set for your course (some programs can have higher English language requirements).
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
Our partner La Trobe College Australia offer comprehensive ELICOS courses to specifically prepare international applicants for academic studies in English prior to commencing graduate research studies.
1. Become familiar with our academics
Prospective students should become familiar with the academic staff of ARCSHS and their research interests, to find a possible match with their area of interest.
Available primary supervisors this year:
2. Write a formal introductory e-mail
Write a formal introductory e-mail, including:
- an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- unofficial transcripts of previous degrees
- writing sample (e.g., minor thesis, published article)
- a research project proposal (300 words)
3. Get our guidance
Successful queries will be provided some additional guidance on the research proposal and most appropriate course (PhD, Master's) in preparation for the formal application.
4. Formally apply
The official application process requires:
- 2 confidential academic referee reports
- a completed application
- original or certified copies of University academic transcripts
- professional CV
- details of any publications
- a copy of research thesis
- the research proposal
- citizenship confirmation
Additional requirements exist for International applicants.
Applications for candidature are welcome all year, however we prefer you to enrol before 31 March.
The closing date for applications for scholarships is 31 October for Australian and New Zealand citizens, and 30 September for all other international applicants.
If you have any queries, please contact the Postgraduate Co-ordinator, Dr. Christopher Fisher.