Secondary school students
Work Experience Program
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary offers engaging Work Experience placements for students currently in Year 10.
Our Work Experience Program is designed to foster new skills in young people, create an awareness and appreciation of the conservation and biodiversity management industry and demonstrate the breadth of career opportunities in environmental science, research and education.
Please note, the La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary does not offer direct involvement with animals.
Successful applicants may assist in the following areas of the Sanctuary:
- Land management & revegetation
- Wildlife monitoring surveys
- Plant production & seed sorting
- Education experiences
- Marketing, promotion & interpretation
- Office & administration
- Workshops & tours
Work Experience placements run for one week from Monday to Friday on pre-selected dates throughout the year. Normal working hours are from 9.30am until 4.00pm. As part of your placement, you will be required to undertake some structured learning activities.
Find out more about work experience with our Frequently Asked Questions
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary can accommodate up to four student placements in a given week. We are only able to accommodate two students from any given school at the one time.
We are currently reviewing the dates for 2019. Please check back soon for more information.
How to Apply
- Click on Apply Now.
- Complete the online Volunteer Application form.
- Select Secondary School student and fill in your contact details and date preference.
- Make sure you have you School Career Advisor or relevant school teachers email address to include.
- Inform your school teacher that you have applied to complete Work Experience at the La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary.
- If your application is successful, you are required to complete a Work Experience Arrangement and Travel form, which are located here.
- To arrange Payment complete the payment request form
- Fill in a media release form and complete an online induction (we will send you detail about these if you are successful)
- Once these steps are complete, you are ready for your placement!