Melbourne Campus Transport Strategy
In 2012, a Transport Strategy was developed for the Melbourne campus, providing recommendations on how to improve access to the campus through various modes of transport.
Improved public transport will assist the University in achieving increased student enrolments as well as decreasing environmental and economic impacts.
- 69% of journeys to the Melbourne campus are by car — almost three quarters of which are with a single occupant.
- Student surveys reveal that journey times are the main barriers to using public transport.
- Currently it takes 55 minutes from the CBD to the Melbourne campus by public transport.
- 24% of students live within Bundoora, Reservoir, or Preston, close to the campus.
- Reservoir Station provides the best potential access to the campus from the CBD and for connecting to the northern growth area.
- Pedestrian connections to north, south and west of the campus are poor and need improving.
- On-campus bike paths can be better defined to create an inner loop.
Actions and targets
- $80k of works are underway to improve bicycle lane markings, signage and internal cycling paths.
- 11 additional bicycle racks were installed at Melbourne campus in 2012. An additional 10 racks are to be installed in 2013.
- An on-campus bicycle share program is available to all students and staff. The program was developed in partnership with Lifeskills and is available from Semester 1, 2013.
- We have been working with Darebin Council to improve signage and markings on feeder roads.
- A carshare program has been implemented for on-campus residents, students and staff. The program is available Semester 1, 2013.
- Car pooling is encouraged.
- A free carpool matching system provides priority car park spaces for car poolers.
- The aim is to reduce train travel time from the CBD from 55 minutes to around 35 minutes.
- We are working with PTV and the Operator to increase frequency and decrease journey time of train and bus services (via Reservoir Station).
- We are exploring the development of a bus interchange at Melbourne campus.
- We are investigating the use of express buses to link to regional areas of Melbourne.
Online transport surveys
- We are developing an online survey to better understand student and staff commuting behaviour and needs.