La Trobe Industry Research Scholarship - Using Advanced Artificial Intelligence for Competitive Advantage
The successful applicant will be based at our partner’s head office for 3 days a week during normal office hours and the remaining 2 days will be at La Trobe University’s Centre for Data Analytics and Cognition in Bundoora Campus.
This scholarship is available to international and domestic applicants.
The successful applicant will undertake industry-relevant research and development in machine learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and computer vision, co-creating advanced state-of-the-art solutions for our industry partner through the Research Centre. Applicants with strong teamwork skills and a strong research track record, particularly with prior experience undertaking research or development in machine learning, AI and computer vision are strongly encouraged to apply.
The title of the project will be “Using Advanced Artificial Intelligence for Competitive Advantage”. The project will explore various existing AI driven solutions in the business with the goal of improving existing solutions using Python, cloud computing, machine learning, computer vision, etc.
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- a La Trobe Research Scholarship for three and a half years, with a value of $28,092 per annum, to support your living costs (2020 rate)
- a fee-relief scholarship for up to four years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University
- opportunities to work with La Trobe’s out-standing researchers, and have access to our suite of professional development pro-grams.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:- have a Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline completed within the last ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above; or
- have an Honours degree, Masters by course-work or ungraded Masters by research degree completed within the last ten years where you achieved a weighted average mark of 70 or above across any course-work subjects; AND any of the following assessed at a La Trobe Masters by re-search standard of 75 or above:
- a research thesis of approximately 15,000-20,000 words; or
- the degree includes a written re-search component comprising at least 3/8 of one year; or
- you are the lead author of a peer-reviewed publication or other re-search published within the last ten years.
The successful applicant will need to sign a Deed of Placement with our industry partner which includes an assignment of all project intellectual property (save for copyright in project thesis) to the industry partner and confidentiality provisions. Applicants should understand that the industry partner may restrict publications relating to the project if necessary, to protect confidential information.
How to apply
Submit a full application for the scholarship and PhD candidature (review details on how to apply for candidature) and indicate Associate Professor Kok-Leong Ong as your potential supervisor. You are not required to submit a research proposal with your application.
In your application, indicate clearly that you wish to be considered for the CDAC Industry PhD Scholarship.
- Follow the Step 3 on our research application page
- Interview: If you are shortlisted for the scholarship and candidature, you will be invited to an interview with representatives of La Trobe and CDAC’s industry partner.
- Final decision: the final decision will be made based on your application and interview. The successful candidate will be made an offer for candidature and scholarship.
Who to contact for further information
Associate Professor Kok-Leong Ong, firstname.lastname@example.org