If you are keen to boost your research and professional skills in an industry setting, and prepare yourself for your future career – whether in industry or in research – then an industry internship is a great option for you.
We offer industry internships to PhD students through our collaboration with APR.Intern, Australia’s leading internship program facilitating short-term research projects completed by postgraduate research students across all study disciplines and business sectors to deliver research solutions for industry.
The internships are approximately 3 months duration and they focus on defined research projects within industry organisations. Possible host organisations include private sector, government, and not-for-profit organisations in a variety of fields.
Why consider an internship?
Learn from industry leaders, build a track record of delivering results. And when you’re finished, you’ll be amazed at the opportunities that come your way. There are a number of ways in which a research internship in industry will benefit you:
- enhance your career prospects and create potential future recruitment opportunities
- obtain an internship stipend of up to A$3,000 per month for the duration of internship
- gain research experience in an industry setting
- conduct research with industry or community impact
- strengthen your ability to translate research knowledge into end-use application
- improve your professional skills while progressing towards project goals and milestones
- establish and enhance your industry networks.
How to get involved
Access more information, templates, and current opportunities by subscribing to APR.Intern’s weekly Internship Alerts and signing up to La Trobe University's fortnightly Graduate Research Scholar enews internship information for students.
Are you eligible?
Students must submit a student approval form that is approved by the Graduate Research School. All students must meet the following criteria:
- You are a PhD student currently enrolled at La Trobe University
- You are a domestic (Australian citizen or permanent resident), or an international student with the appropriate student visa
- You have not previously undertaken a PhD internship with APR.Intern
- You have met the requirements of your confirmation milestone and can demonstrate that internship participation will not adversely impact your scheduled thesis submission date
- Your Principal Supervisor has given you written approval to participate in the program.
Do you have an industry partner and a PhD student that would benefit through a short-term research project? If so, speak to us to find out more about how it works.
We offer industry internships to PhD students in various disciplines across our Schools and Departments - through our collaboration with APR.Intern, Australia’s leading internship program facilitating short-term research projects completed by postgraduate research students across all study disciplines and business sectors to deliver research solutions for industry.
The internships are 3 - 6 months duration and they focus on clearly defined research projects within industry organisations. Possible host organisations include private sector, government, and not-for-profit organisations in a variety of fields.
Our internship program involves talented and motivated research students and provides an excellent opportunity for industry organisations – private sector organisations, government bodies and not-for-profits – to engage with and attract talent into their organisation through short-term research projects. You will collaborate with our best research students and staff from a wide range of disciplines to develop research solutions to challenges facing your business.
Several large corporations, government agencies and small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) have already hosted our students and benefited from their contributions, tackling challenges and developing solutions to problems affecting their business. All interns are supported by an academic supervisor throughout the internship to ensure that your organisation receives high-end expertise. This will also facilitate a pathway for future engagement with La Trobe University.
Our internships are designed and managed through our collaboration with APR.Intern, Australia’s leading not-for-profit PhD internship program facilitating short-term (3-6 months) research projects completed by postgraduate research students across all study disciplines and business sectors to deliver research solutions for industry.
Why you should consider hosting a La Trobe research intern
Hosting a research student for an internship has several benefits to you:
- Get access to specialised research expertise and skills
- Meet your organisation’s short-term skill needs
- Get quick results through short intensive projects
- Find a solution to your changing business needs and priorities
- Intellectual property created during the internship stays with your organisation
- Become part of our University community and partner network.
The full cost of engaging a PhD candidate intern starts at $20,000 for a 3-month internship.
This includes a monthly stipend for the student.
- 4-month internship – $23,000
- 5-month internship – $26,000
- 6-month internship – $29,000
* All prices exclude GST
Should your business have already matched with a PhD candidate and Academic Mentor, a $5k contribution from APR.Intern to the above will be included in the final cost.
There are no Government rebates available, however, businesses in the following sectors may be eligible for $10,000+ vouchers through our program partnerships:
- MedTech, BioTech and Pharma.
Contact the Research Education and Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org