Candidate Frequently asked Questions

Getting started

If I start an application but was unable to finish it, am I able to complete it later?

Yes, you may start your application, save it and return later to complete and submit it. However, please be sure to pay attention to the closing date for the job announcement, as incomplete applications may not be accepted.

Do I need a Working with Children Check?

Yes. La Trobe University is a Child Safe Organisation and as part of this commitment, we require all employees to have a current Working with Children’s Check upon commencement.

How do I apply for a working with children’s check?

Online application for a WWCC is available through the Department of Justice and Regulation hard copy application forms are available from Australia Post outlets.

Note: If you are overseas and relocating, please wait until you are in Australia to apply.

How much does a working with children’s check cost?


How long does it take to get a working with children’s check?

We encourage you to apply for your WWCC once you have been made a verbal offer the processing time can be anywhere from two days to three weeks depending on individual circumstances. You will not be able to commence with the University until you have confirmation that you have passed the working with children’s check.

I have a disability, can I apply?

Yes, La Trobe is committed to creating a workplace where different abilities are recognised, valued and celebrated. We care about providing a workplace where people with physical and/or intellectual disability, carers of people with a disability, and people experiencing and managing mental health issues are supported to thrive. We have measures in place to ensure we accommodate candidates with a disability and that they are considered based on merit and the ability to perform the inherent requirements of the position. La Trobe is happy to make reasonable adjustments to enable staff to perform the key position responsibilities where possible.

For further details, please email our recruitment team at to have a confidential discussion.

Do you offer a relocation assistance?

La Trobe University may offer relocation assistance depending on the role and eligibility. Please speak to the relevant Senior Recruitment Business partner or contact HR Assist on 9479 1234

Do you offer sponsorship for overseas candidates?

La Trobe University may offer sponsorship to overseas candidates depending on the role type and eligibility. Please speak to the relevant Senior Recruitment Business partner or contact HR Assist on 9479 1234

How often are vacancies listed?

All new vacancies are listed and advertised as they are created. We recommend registering for a job alert and checking our list on a regular basis.

How do I sign up for job alerts?

Head to the website, select current vacancies, complete your search criteria, then select “Send me jobs like this”

More information

I’ve forgotten my password to My Profile, what do I do?

You can reset your password on the La Trobe jobs page, please click on existing applicant login, don’t know my password. An email will be automatically generated to your email asking you to reset your password.

I’m having technical problems, what do I do?

If you are experiencing technical difficulties submitting your application, please contact the Recruitment team by calling HR Assist on 9479 1234

Can I update my details once the application has been lodged?

Yes, you can update information at any stage by logging in as an existing applicant.

How do I know if you received my online application? Can I find out the status of an application that I submitted for a position?

All applicants will receive a confirmation from La Trobe Recruitment team upon receipt of their completed application. You may also log in to the system using your user name and password to view the status of your application at any time.

How do I get an update on my application status?

Once you have submitted your application please allow 5-10 business days after the advertisement has closed for the panel to review all applications and finalise a shortlist for interview. Once this has been finalised you will receive a notification on the outcome of your application via phone or email.

Can I request feedback if I am unsuccessful?

Yes, please contact the Recruitment Consultant listed on the advertisement or alternatively contact HR assist on 9479 1234

I don’t know who my Recruitment Business Partner is, who do I contact?

You are welcome to contact HR direct on 9479 1234 who will assist with getting you in touch with the Recruitment representative assigned to your role.

Do I have to address the Key Selection Criteria and if so how long should my KSC be?

Each role and the online application requirement will be different, please carefully read the instructions under “How to apply” on the advertisement. If you do need to address the KSC, please refer to our application tips.