You will find useful information that will help with your arrival in Australia and at La Trobe University in the Acceptance and Pre-departure guide (PDF 3.80MB), and the Enrolment Guide for new international student.
If you require an alternate version of this content please submit an online request: Ask a Question online.
Your arrival checklist
- Visit the Student Welcome Desk at Sydney or Melbourne Airports. You can collect a Welcome Pack at the Student Welcome Desk at the Melbourne Airport.
- Finalise your accommodation - Accommodation Services at La Trobe offers a wide range of on-campus accommodation options for students and support in finding off-campus accommodation options. If you are staying in temporary accommodation and need advice on finding permanent housing, visit Accommodation Services located on the Ground Floor of Menzies College administrative offices. For Bendigo students, contact Accommodation Services located in the West Wing of the Engineering Building or visit "Market Place" section of the Bendigo Student Association website. Alternately you may wish to check listings with any of the local real estate agents in the Bendigo City.
- Open a bank account – if you have opened a bank account before arriving, remember to go to your nominated branch and provide your identification so that you can access your account. If not, you can open an account at one of the banks or the credit union on campus, or a branch near your permanent accommodation.
- Contact home - Your family and friends back home may be waiting to hear from you! Public phones can be found around the campus. Before enrolment you can access computers in the Library to email home. Once you have enrolled, you will have access to a free University email account and computing facilities.
- Order your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) card - You will receive information on how to activate your OSHC policy and receive your membership details when you register at La Trobe International upon arrival.
- Apply for Tax File Number (TFN) if you are planning to work and you may also pass it onto your bank. You can lodge the application at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or you can apply online on the ATO website.
- Check-in with La Trobe International - As a new student you need to check in with La Trobe International. To check-in, bring your passport (or other photo ID), a copy of your CoE and offer letter. If you have outstanding documents to provide or payments to make you will be advised at check-in. Your fees need to be paid in full to activate your account. A staff member will guide you through activating your student account and student email address, and next steps.
- Update your residential address - You must advise the University of your address in Australia within seven days of arrival, and also keep us informed of any changes within seven days, as a condition of your student visa. Once you have your login and password details for StudentOnLine you will be able to update your address online, but beforehand you will need to update your address at La Trobe International.
- Attend Orientation – Orientation is a program of academic and social activities that occur in the week before studies commence. The program aims to prepare students for University study and to support you to adjust to living and studying at La Trobe University. All details can be found on our Orientation pages.
- Familiarise yourself with local area and campus –Try using public transport and visit the city centre and your campus. Also locate shops, supermarkets or shopping centres near your accommodation for your food shopping.