Study online now, then join us on campus later
Start your degree with our excellent online study experience, then join us on campus when borders re-open.
Discover how studying online at La Trobe gives you the same globally recognised education – wherever you are in the world – with support every step of the way.
Why study online at La Trobe?
Start studying now at a top 1% university
Get the same globally recognised education, delivered online to meet your needs.
Benefit from our expanded range of generous scholarships
From tuition fee reductions to cash grants, we have increased the range and amount of scholarships offered to international students.
Support every step of the way
Access academic support through our LMS and one-on-one Zoom ‘drop-in’ sessions. Be mentored by experts from your chosen industry. Contact our friendly ASK La Trobe team for all your other support needs.
Your study experience
What will this new study experience look like for you?
What does the online classroom look like? How do I transfer from online to on-campus study? What courses can I study? How do I apply? Find out here.
Discover the La Trobe online learning experience
• Discover an information technology student's online study experience - Watch video
• Discover a data science student's online study experience - Watch video
• Discover an engineering online student's online study experience - Watch video
From online to on-campus in six steps
Find your ideal course
Our courses are co-designed with industry and taught by experts in their fields. That means, you’ll benefit from their expertise and real-world experience. You’ll develop strong professional connections while gaining the skills for your future career.
We offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses across all disciplines, including:
- arts, social sciences and communications
- business and commerce
- education and teaching
- IT and engineering
- law and criminology
Review our updated entry requirements
As univeristies around the world respond to COVID-19, we’ve updated our policies to include some new processes. This includes accepting:
- additional evidence of academic proficiency for the International Baccalaureate and Cambridge levels
- results from additional tests for IELTS and TOEFL.
Explore our new, extended range of scholarships
We have increased our range of generous scholarships, so whether you’re interested in studying an undergraduate and postgraduate degree, there’s a La Trobe scholarship for you.
- Destination Australia Scholarships
- La Trobe International Scholarships
- La Trobe Regional Campus Scholarships
- Early Bird Acceptance Grant
- region-specific scholarships for high-achieving students
- prestigious Vice-Chancellor Scholarships offering 100% reductions on course fees.
Before you apply: prepare your supporting documents
We accept electronic and scanned versions of your supporting documentation. If you're submitting scanned documents, they must be:
- submitted in PDF or JPEG file formats
- be clear and easy-to-read
- in full colour
If you submit a translated document, you must also provide a certified copy of the original. If your documentation doesn’t meet admission requirements, we’ll request further documents for verification.
See document examples.
How to apply
When you apply, you’ll need to select the campus where you wish to commence your study after you arrive in Australia.
How to accept your offer
Find out how to accept your offer.
Organise your student visa to join us on-campus later
As part of the admissions process, you’ll be issued a Confirmation of Enrolment so you can apply for a student visa. You’ll need this visa to enter Australia once travel restrictions are lifted. Remember to check the Australian Government website for announcements about travel restrictions and visa advice.
Discover your online study experience
- Get the same globally recognised education, with online learning outcomes the same as those achieved through face-to-face study, and the same highly qualified staff teaching both.
- Communicate with lecturers and students via our Learning Management System (LMS) and one-on-one Zoom ‘drop-in’ sessions.
- Develop strong professional connections while honing the skills needed to create future opportunities. Our courses are backed by industry accreditations and offer opportunities to put theory into practice.
- Access to everything you need, such as:
- financial support through our expanded range of generous scholarships
- academic support through the LMS, where you can attend lectures, collaborate on group assignments and communicate directly with academics
- industry support through online work placements where you can be supported by mentors in your chosen field through experiential learning platforms like Practera.
- support with everything else through our friendly ASK La Trobe team.
Assistance managing your study load
We understand that, due to personal circumstances or COVID-19 restrictions, you may need to reconsider your study plans. In these situations, we have an extensive range of support services here to help you.
In some instances, you may be able to reduce your study load to better manage your personal circumstances.
A regular full-time study load for international students is 60 credit points (usually the equivalent of four subjects) per semester. If you have compelling circumstances, you could apply to reduce your study load after enrolment. Our International Student Services team can guide you through the process.
Preparing for your arrival
Once travel restrictions are lifted, and you have your student visa, you can join us on campus in Australia.
With the knowledge you’ve gained and the friends you’ve already made, you’ll be ready to enjoy life on campus.
Find out everything else you need to know about life at La Trobe in Australia in our handy pre-departure guide.
Learn more about studying on-campus at La Trobe
How we support you
We’re here to help you. You’ll have access to all our wide range of support services. Our amazing ASK La Trobe current students support portal is a one-stop shop to help you with all kinds of issues:
- applications and enrollments
- student life and support services
- library services
- fees and financial support
- students IT support
- exams, results and graduations
- connect you with other services