Local Placements, Fieldwork and Work Based Learning

The University Insurance program is designed to support students, staff and volunteers when engaging in placements, fieldwork, work based learning or other University activity undertaken off campus.

Personal Accident Insurance

The University’s Personal Accident Insurance supports students and volunteers in the event they suffer a bodily injury while undertaking or commuting to and from an approved University activity

The personal accident policy operates together with the travel policy depending on the distance your University activity takes you from your usual place of residence.

Less than 50kms – Personal Accident Insurance

More than 50kms – Travel Insurance

The policy may cover out-of-pocket expenses which are not claimable under other insurance arrangements such as Medicare, Private Health Insurance, Transport Accident Commission (TAC), etc.

The policy includes cover for:

  • Medical expenses (that are not covered in whole or in part by Medicare).
  • Weekly injury benefits;
  • Home tutorial benefits;
  • Injury assistance benefits;

The policy does NOT provide cover for the following:

  • Costs arising from sickness or pre-existing medical conditions.
  • Costs that are covered in whole or in part by Medicare, ‘Gap’ payments cannot be claimed.

Personal Accident Insurance is designed to respond in addition to and excess to Medicare and Private Health Insurance.

All University students, staff, and volunteers are encouraged to consider the most appropriate health insurance arrangement for their personal circumstances.

Ambulance Cover

The University’s Personal Accident insurance provides cover for ambulance call out fees in the event the injury is covered by the Personal Accident Insurance.

Should an ambulance be called for any other reason, such as sickness, the costs will not be covered by the University’s insurance.

Please refer to Ambulance Victoria for individual memberships and further information.


University Fleet Vehicles

In the event of an accident, please notify Fleet Management as soon as possible.

Detailed information regarding the incident management process can be found here (link)

Student and Staff Owned Vehicles

Staff and students’ private vehicles (including motorcycles) are not insured by the University.

If students or staff use their own private vehicle to travel for approved University activity, any damage to students, staff or third-party vehicles is not insured by the University.

The University does not support the use of uninsured motor vehicles.

It is a condition for the use of private motor vehicles during University approved activity that vehicles must be comprehensively insured.

University Fleet vehicles are available for use for University approved activity.

As a driver or passenger in a registered motor vehicle, Staff and Students are covered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC), or Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurers in other States & Territories.

Host Organisation Vehicles

The University insurance program does not cover host organisation vehicles. It is the responsibility of the host to ensure their vehicles are comprehensively insured. Any personal injury resulting from a host organisation vehicle will be covered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC), or Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurers in other States & Territories.

Public Transport

University students, staff, and volunteers are supported by the University's personal accident policy while using public transport to commute to or from University approved activities.

Public Liability

Public liability insurance provides cover for the resultant legal liability from negligently causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party individual or organisation. All University students, staff and volunteers are covered by the University public liability policy while undertaking University approved activities.

Students undertaking unpaid work placement, with the knowledge and consent of the University are not employees of either the University or the host organisation, therefore are not covered by WorkCover. However, If a host organisation pays/ financially remunerates a student, then the student is expected to be covered under the host organisation’s WorkCover arrangement. Students should request confirmation of this coverage with their host.

Volunteering for External Organisations

The University does not provide insurance cover for any volunteering between students and organisations outside of approved University activities.

How To Claim

The Insurance Office will support you in lodging a claim.

Please contact the Insurance Office to commence the claim process.

For further information please contact the Insurance Office.