News and events
CRLD Seminar Series 2022
All seminars take place 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Thursdays (unless otherwise indicated) and will be run on Zoom until further notice.
- March 17: Professor David Deterding (Universiti Brunei Darussalam), "The Phonetics of Malay"
- March 24: Corey Theatre (La Trobe University), "Demonstratives and Pronouns in the Kanai Language"
- April 22: Dipjyoti Goswami (La Trobe University), "A Grammatical Description of Rera Tangsa - An Introductory Talk"
- May 5: Hoa Do (La Trobe University), "Linguistic Differentiation at Vietnamese Community Language Schools in Australia: Voices from Local Stakeholders"
- May 12: Andrew Tanner (La Trobe University), "The Eastern Kulin Languages: A Comprehensive Analysis of Archival Sources"
- June 2: Mohanad Al-Azzam (La Trobe University), "The Use of Emoji in Jordanian Discourse: A Culturally-Specific Approach to CMC"
- August 17: Dr John Mansfield (University of Melbourne), "Explaining Morphosyntactic Structure with Inter-predictability"
- October 5: Dr Howie Manns, Professor Kate Burridge, Dr Simon Musgrave (Monash University), "Truth, Truthiness and Public Science Discourse: Authority, Epistemicity and Affect in Interaction"
- October 27: Dr Timothy Brickell (La Trobe University / Tokyo University of Foreign Studies), "Sound Symbolism in Western Austronesian Languages" [ Data sheet ]
- November 25 (Friday): Dr Yoshiyuki Asahi (NINJAL), "Emergence of Multicultural Tokyo Japanese? Possibilities and Prospects"
CRLD Seminar Series 2021
- February 2 (Tuesday): Kirri Dangerfield (La Trobe University), "Team interpreting: Prompting further exploration on supporting the interpreted process"
- March 25: Hoa Do (La Trobe University), "Vietnamese as a Community Language in Australia: Parental Attitudes and Family Language Policy"
- April 15 (4:00 p.m.): Dr Laura Arnold (University of Edinburgh), "Highs and Lows: Tone Splits from Vowel Height in Raja Ampa"
- May 20: Dr Agnese Bresin (La Trobe University), "Address Variation in Sociocultural Context: Region, Power and Distance in Italian Service Encounters"
- May 27: Dr Simon Musgrave (Monash University), "Language Data in Australia: Mapping a Conceptual Landscape"
- June 10: Rael Stanley (La Trobe University), "Voiceless Fricatives in Northern Lisu"
- July 22: Carolin Krafzik (La Trobe University), "Swearing in Multicultural Melbourne"
- September 2: Professor David Bradley (La Trobe University), "Lisu Deictics: Dialect and Genre"
- September 16: Professor Andries Coetzee (University of Michigan), "Patagonian Afrikaans: History and Identity in an Expatriate Speech Community"
- October 14: Dr Melanie Viljoen (La Trobe University), "Linguistic Signals of Discourse Topicality in Buwal and Gavar Expository Texts"
CRLD Seminar Series 2020
- April 9: Professor James Walker (La Trobe University), "Complementisers in eastern Caribbean English"
- April 23: Associate Professor Stephen Morey (La Trobe University), "Creating a new script: Bringing Tangsa language into the Facebook era"
- April 30: Dr Lauren Gawne (La Trobe University), "Emoji as digital gesture"
- May 21: Dr Adele Gregory (La Trobe University), "Regional vowel characteristics of northern Queensland speakers"
- May 28: Professor David Deterding (Universiti Brunei Darussalam), "Indigenous Languages and English in Brunei Darussalam in the globalized modern era"
- June 18: Carolin Krafzik (La Trobe University), "Fan-f*ckin-tastic: Student swearing in Sydney"
- July 9: Dr Jessica Birnie-Smith (La Trobe University): "Undoing Chineseness: The cultural politics of language and identity in globalizing China."
- July 30: Associate Professor Marc Brunelle (University of Ottawa): "The acoustics of onset voicing in Chrau, Chru and Jarai"
- August 27: Associate Professor Marc Garellek (University of California San Diego): "What Illustrations of the IPA can teach us about voicing and glottal sounds"
- September 17: Joshua Butler (La Trobe University): "A Digitised Middle Cornish Corpus: A Step Toward a New Grammar of Middle Cornish"
- October 8: Professor Matthew Gordon (UC Santa Barbara) and Professor Thiago Costa Chacon (University of Brasilia): "Lexical Tones, Intonation and Prosodic Units in Kubeo"
- November 19: Kelly Harper Berkson (Indiana University) and Shobhana Chelliah (University of North Texas): "The Chin Languages Research Project: Investigating typologically rare phenomena in Kuki-Chin languages in Indiana"
- December 3: Professor Alexei Kochetov (University of Toronto): "Acoustic Variation in Kalasha Laterals: Sound Change through Contrast Enhancement and Language Contact"
- December 10: Professor Marija Tabain (La Trobe University): "The Phonetics of Qaqet, a Language of Papua New Guinea"