In partnership with La Trobe University, the Victorian Department of Health is making 25 scholarships, worth $15,000 each, available for this course as part of their Making it free to study nursing and midwifery initiative.
The scholarship covers the course fee of $8250 with the remaining $6750 available to support participation in the 4-week placement component and other course-related costs.
- Live in Victoria or border communities (see below)
- Meet the requirements of Nursing & Midwifery Board Australia Re-entry to practice policy
Apply by 31 May 2023 for scholarship consideration.
Scholarships will be provided in one instalment to successful candidates, subject to NMBA provisional registration approval.
Scholarship applicant eligibility
To be eligible for a scholarship as part of this initiative, an applicant must be:
- be a domestic student. For the purposes of this scholarship this is defined as:
- an Australian citizen
- a New Zealand citizen (or dual citizenship holders of either Australia or New Zealand)
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- an Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder
- have been previously registered as a nurse in Australia and have relevant clinical experience, as either:
- a nurse, with at least two years of relevant domestic clinical experience in nursing or midwifery while employed in Australia
- a paramedic and nurse, with at least two years of relevant domestic clinical experience in nursing or a combination of two years of relevant domestic
- clinical experience across both disciplines (for example, one year paramedicine experience, one year clinical nursing experience).
- meet the requirements outlined in the NMBA Re-entry to practice policy that requires you to complete a re-entry program of study, such as this course,
- to regain registered nursing or midwifery registration
- currently reside in Victoria or a border community (see below)
- not have previously received a Department of Health scholarship to study a re-entry nursing or midwifery course in the last 3 years
- demonstrate commitment, in the application process, throughout the application process to work in nursing or midwifery at the completion of the course within a Victorian public health service
Where state-wide demand for scholarships exceeds the number available, preference will be given to individuals who can demonstrate one or more of the following:
- a commitment to working in a regional or rural Victorian public health service following completion of the course
- a disadvantaged financial background (e.g., be in receipt of Centrelink benefits, eligible for a health care card, are experiencing economic hardship etc)
- difficult circumstances (e.g., have been impacted by natural disasters such as floods, bushfire, or drought)
- prior relevant Victorian public health service experience as either a nurse, midwife or paramedic.
More information for applicants
The Department of Health is not required to withhold tax (PAYG) from scholarships paid. You should be aware:
- you may be liable to pay tax on your scholarship. For more information, see the calculator on the Australian Taxation Office website
- you may be entitled to claim a tax deduction for self-education expenses. For more information, see the Australian Taxation Office website.
The department strongly recommends that recipients seek independent tax advice for their scholarship payment.
Cross border communities
Border community regions align with those specified during the COVID-19 pandemic as follows.
New South Wales
- Balranald Shire
- Bega Valley Shire
- Berrigan Shire
- City of Albury
- City of Broken Hill
- City of Wagga Wagga
- Edward River Council
- Federation Council
- Greater Hume Shire
- Hay Shire
- Lockhart Shire
- Murray River Council
- Murrumbidgee Council
- Snowy Monaro Regional Council
- Snowy Valleys Council
- Wentworth Shire
Note: The Silver City Highway between the Broken Hill and Wentworth Local Government Areas is part of the NSW-Victoria border bubble.
- Berri Barmera Council
- City of Mount Gambier
- District Council of Grant
- District Council of Loxton Waikerie
- District Council of Robe
- Kingston District Council
- Naracoorte Lucindale Council
- Renmark Paringa Council
- Southern Mallee District Council
- Tatiara District Council
- Wattle Range Council