Why study at ARCSHS?
Located at La Trobe University, ARCSHS conducts world-class research and education on the social dimensions of sexuality, gender, health and human relationships. It works collaboratively with academic research institutions, communities, community-based organisations, governments, international agencies and professionals to advance knowledge and promote positive change in policy, practice and people’s lives.
Our Australian and international research activities are organised under four social research themes:
- LGBTIQ health and wellbeing
- Social responses to HIV and viral hepatitis
- Sexual health and wellbeing
- Sex, gender and consumption
For more information on the kinds of research conducted at ARCSHS, see our research publications.
ARCSHS is a recognised leader in training the next generation of passionate, interdisciplinary researchers in the field of sex, health and society. We help students to achieve excellence by:
- Promoting innovation, intellectual rigour and lifelong learning
- Acting ambitiously with integrity and professionalism
- Demonstrating leadership, teamwork and interdisciplinary collaboration
- Valuing inclusiveness and diversity
Academic staff supervise students enrolled in PhD and Masters programs, and have backgrounds in various disciplines. These include:
- Gender and Cultural Studies
- Public Health
Prospective domestic students can apply for research scholarships to support their research. Benefits of the scholarship include:
- A tax-free stipend (approximately $32,500) and fee relief
- Opportunities to work with outstanding researchers, develop high-quality research skills and access La Trobe’s suite of professional development programs
- A supportive and vibrant research environment, with rich opportunities for knowledge translation
International scholarships are also available and further information can be found at https://www.latrobe.edu.au/research/graduate-research/fees-and-scholarships.