Sign up as mentor
Our alumni possess a wealth of knowledge and skills across a variety of sectors, and many have shown interest in passing on that knowledge to our future leaders. To make that possible, we are now seeking alumni to mentor La Trobe students through our online Career Ready Mentoring Programs.
Programs on offer:
- Career Ready Industry Mentoring Program - Mentors help students learn about different job options and career pathways, understand the kind of skills and experience employers are looking for, and increase their confidence in choosing and applying for career opportunities.
- Career Ready MBA Mentoring Program - Mentors support MBA students to develop their business, leadership and management skills.
- Ask Alumni Conversations - Mentors engage in one-off conversations with students to answer specific questions.
Why mentor a student?
- Share your skills, expertise and industry knowledge
- Boost your coaching skills and experience
- Develop the next generation of talent
- Expand your professional network
What is required?
La Trobe provides all mentors with a structured online program with access to online resources and step-by-step guidelines. Contact can be face-to-face, by email, telephone or Skype.
The program will include suggested activities and conversation topics designed to help shape your mentee's next career steps. Sample conversations you could have include:
- Setting career goals
- Choosing/shaping a career direction
- Job search and application tips
- What to expect and how to thrive at work
- How to deal with workplace challenges
- Ongoing professional development and networking opportunities including professional associations in your industry
What is the time commitment?
The program is flexible and designed to meet the needs of busy professionals.
The Career Ready Mentoring and MBA Mentoring programs run for approximately four months inline with semester dates. Both programs require approximately one contact hour each week.
The Career Ready Conversation program requires lighter commitment – a 30-minute phone or online conversation, subject to your availability.
If you would like more information regarding the mentoring program or process, please contact us.