Organise a reunion
A reunion is a great opportunity to reconnect with former classmates and rekindle the friendships forged at La Trobe.
There’s never been a better time to get together and reminisce with friends, network and learn more about the University’s plans for the future.
There are a few steps you’ll need to consider before planning a reunion.
Take a look at our six step guide, or download the reunion guide [PDF 1.6MB] for more detailed information.
Register your reunion
If you are interested in organising a reunion, the first step is to send us an email to register an event or reunion.
Please include the following information in your email:
- event date and time
- event location
- brief event description
- contact details.
A member of the Alumni Relations team will be in contact to discuss your reunion further. We will guide you through the process of organising a successful reunion from finding your guests to promoting the event. We are here to help.
Discuss ideas with Alumni Relations office
What style of event do you want to have? Do you want to organise a lunch, dinner, cocktail party or casual drinks at a bar? What is your budget? Are you going to charge for the event?
These are a few things you will need to think about. Your main options for your event would be:
- small-scale gathering – minimal organisation, with everyone paying their own way at a bar or restaurant.
- larger-scale gathering – a formal event with a hired venue involves greater organisation, including catering and charging a price per head.
Find your guests
When deciding who to invite, Facebook, LinkedIn or other social media platforms are a good place to start. Get in contact with your friends who may still be in touch with some of your cohort.
The Alumni Relations team may also be able to reach out to alumni on your behalf.
Promote your event
We can send an email to your cohort inviting them to the reunion on your behalf. We can also provide an invitation template that you can send to those you are in contact with.
Our team can promote your event through our alumni communication platforms, as appropriate.
Now that the event has been promoted and invites are sent, all you have to do is wait for the RSVPs to start rolling in.
Remember, the Alumni Relations team will offer support and advice but overall management of the event is the host’s responsibility.
Enjoy your reunion
Have a wonderful time reminiscing and reconnecting with old friends. If you would like a member of the Alumni Relations team to attend on the day please let us know and we will do our best to attend.
After the reunion
- Ensure you tie up any loose ends e.g. venue/catering costs
- Send thank-you notes to your guests
- Share photos – we can share your photos with the alumni community
- Contact the Alumni Relations team – please send us an updated list of who attended your reunion, with their contact details so we can update our records if they have given their consent.
How can we support you
To help guide your reunion, we can:
- help connect you with old classmates
- share info about on-campus venues
- send email invitations on your behalf
- promote your reunion where appropriate
- prepare guest name tags
- collect RSVPs and ticket fees.