Greenhouse Gas Emissions Performance
What are our major emission sources?
- Direct emissions (scope 1) - emissions from directly burning fuels such as fleet vehicles or backup generators
- Gas consumption (99%)
- Cars on campus (1%)
- Electricity consumption (100%)
- Air travel (10%) dramatically down per 2020 flight restrictions
- Waste (13%)
- Electricity and gas (77%)
*Based on 2020 Data
The Annual Emissions Performance graph shows our annual greenhouse gas emissions for the years 2016 to 2020.
How can you help La Trobe reduce its emissions?
Gas and electricity consumption
- Switch off lights, fans and air conditioning when not required
- Switch off computers and monitors at the end of the day
- Report faulty lights or electrical equipment to Infrastructure and Operations
- Travel to Uni by public transport, walk or ride
- Carpool with other students or staff
- Use video conferencing facilities to reduce travel needs
- Carry your own cup, water bottle and lunch container and say no to unnecessary packaging
- Sort recycling into the correct bins including organics
- Buy items in bulk and avoid single-use packaging
- Only print when it's necessary
How can you reduce your impact at home?
Your impact really depends on your habits and will vary from person to person
- Do you fly frequently and overseas?
- Do you eat meat?
- Do you drive a car regularly?
- Do you have renewable electricity
- Turn off devices when not required by the wall, especially televisions
- Replacing old lamps with LEDs
- Reduce air travel where possible
- Reduce driving by riding, walking or taking public transport
- Eat mostly a plant-based diet (zero or little meat)
- Buy clothes second hands
- Purchase renewable energy from your energy retailer and consume goods from companies who also do so
- Plants trees and a garden where possible
- Purchasing reputable carbon offsets such as Australian biodiverse reforestation projects
For more tips at home visit the Sustainability Victoria website.
Our contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Our work on reducing our emissions covers multiple areas such as energy, car and flight travel, reducing water use and increasing recycling.
It helps us contribute to the following Sustainable Development Goals: