To help you plan and prepare your budget, below you will find the Australian Government estimated costs of living and studying in Australia.
Check the Cheap and Free Guide (PDF 464KB)* for some tips on how to save time and money in Melbourne.
Please be aware that these costs will vary depending on your accommodation type, lifestyle and other factors.
Estimated price ranges
Other Living Expenses
- Groceries and eating out - $80 to $280 per week
- Gas, electricity - $35 to $140 per week
- Phone and Internet - $20 to $55 per week
- Public transport - $15 to $55 per week
- Car (after purchase) - $150 to $260 per week
- Entertainment - $80 to $150 per week
Minimum cost of living
The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. From 23 October 2019 the following annual living costs are recommended:
- Student - $21,041
- Spouse or partner - $7,362
- Child - $3,152
All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit http://www.xe.com/