The Team La Trobe Walk and Run Hunt is encouraging the La Trobe community to again connect with each other and keep active as you spend the week searching your town or suburb for a list of items and landmarks.
Commencing on Tuesday September 29, participants will be given a short list of items each day to search for throughout their neighborhood whilst aiming to accumulate a distance of either 35km or 70km over the duration of the event.
Taking place over one week, individuals or teams have until Monday October 5th 11:59pm to find the nominated items while aiming to walk or run on average 5km or 10km distance each day.
The best bit? Prizes are on offer for the first person and team to complete the 35km or 70km challenge AND find all the items. Prizes will also be awarded to the first handful of people to find all the items and upload the images to the dedicated Team La Trobe Walk and Run Hunt Facebook event page.
Participants will need to download and register with the Nike Run Club app (App Store or Google Play) and send a friend request to Team La Trobe (a step-by-step guide is available in the FAQs below). This will ensure that a record of your daily distanced covered is recorded, and your achievements can be tracked on the overall leader board.
Additionally, participants are encouraged to join the Team La Trobe Walk and Run Hunt Facebook event, to post photos as you find the items or landmarks.
Should you have any other questions, please contact La Trobe Sport Program Delivery Supervisor, Hayden Atherton, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or see below for FAQs.
Team La Trobe Walk and Run Hunt FAQs
- How do I join the Team La Trobe Scavenger Hunt?
Download the Nike Run Club App (available for both Apple and Android devices) and create a Nike Run Club profile (takes a few minutes).
Once your profile is created, send a friend request* to Team La Trobe within the Nike Run Club app, so you can appear on the Team La Trobe Walk and Run Hunt leader board.
Once completed, join the Team La Trobe Campus to Campus Facebook event.
Accept and join the Campus to Campus challenges as they occur on the NRC app. (If your settings allow notifications, you will receive them once the challenge is created).
- How do I send a friend request?
* To send a friend request select the ‘Club’ button at the bottom the screen, depiction of two people, then in the top right corner of the screen press the button of a '+' and an image of person. Once there, press the search button in the top right corner. Now search 'Team La Trobe'.
- How do I track my distance (via the Nike Run Club app)?
When you are ready to start your run or walk, just hit start on the Nike Run Club app home screen and set off on your walk/run.
When you finish your walk/run, hold down the pause button until the stop button appears. Press the stop button to complete your walk/run in the app.
- Where do I find the daily items?
The daily scavenger hunt items will be available the night before on the Facebook event page (*link here*).
- How do I tick off my daily items?
Simply take a photo of the scavenger hunt items for that day while on your walk or run and post them to the Facebook Event Page.
- I don’t want to post them on the event page, how else do I prove that I completed the daily items?
No worries! You can email your photos to the Event Manager Stefanie Stratiou, (email@example.com), where your items will be ticked off.
- Do I have to be a La Trobe Student or Staff member to participate?
No, you do not need to be a staff member or student to participate. We welcome all people from the community to join!
- Can I complete the challenge with my family and friends?
You may wish to complete the walk and run event with a friend or family member, while maintaining proper social distancing and following the Victorian restrictions.
For up to date information regarding restrictions, see the Victorian Government website: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
- What is the distance goal?
There will be two challenges on the Nike Run Club app: a 35km challenge and a 70km challenge.
- I don’t usually run/ walk long distances, is this event suited for me?
Yes, it is. We welcome people with any fitness capacity, whether it is a light walk down the street or a long run around the neighbourhood, every metre counts! You can choose to do either the 35km challenge, or the 70km challenge!
- Can I enter both 35km and 70km challenges?
Yes, you can! If you feel as if you can’t reach the 70km, you can enter both so if you get above 35km you will be able to contribute more to your total.
- How long will the Scavenger Hunt last for?
The Team La Trobe Walk and Run Hunt will last for seven days.
- How many items do I need to find a day?
Two-three items will be released daily.
- What if I miss a day, can I make up for them on another day?
Certainly! Although completing the items each day gives you a greater chance of winning a prize, you are still able to catch up missed items on another day.
- Can I complete more than the 70km required for the walk/ run aspect of the challenge?
You can complete more than 70km, however, the Nike Run Club app will stop recording after you complete the set distance.
- Can I complete the Walk & Run Hunt in a team?
Yes, you can. Simply sign up through the normal process, and email Hayden Atherton (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the names of the team members you would like to complete the challenge with. The whole team will work together in completing both the distance goal and item list.
- Can I join the Scavenger Hunt late?
Yes! You can join at any stage of the challenge. Just simply sign up via the normal process and you are ready to go. You can catch up on previous days if missed.
- I live in an area where that doesn’t obtain the daily item, what do I do?
If you live in an area where there isn't the daily item, post as much as you can. Most items should be locatable; however, we cannot guarantee that for certain areas.
- Who can I contact for more information?
Hayden Atherton, Program Delivery Supervisor, La Trobe Sport
Stefanie Stratiou, Event Manager, La Trobe Sport
- Can I use my Garmin?
Yes, the Nike Run Club app can be synced to your Garmin.