Rankings and ratings
We rank in the top 1.1 per cent of the world’s universities1 and our research across a broad range of disciplines is among the world's best.2
La Trobe University has been ranked in the world’s top 400 universities by all three major independent ranking agencies3-5.
We continue to improve our world rankings, currently recording a strong result in the respected Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) - La Trobe University is now ranked at 307 in the world.
The Times Higher Education World University rankings 2020 placed La Trobe at 291 and ranked us 52nd globally in their 2019 Golden Age Rankings while the 2020 QS World University Rankings has La Trobe University ranked joint 400th in the world.
National Taiwan University’s Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities evaluates research universities’ achievements in scientific research by comparing the performance of scientific papers in each university for quality and quantity. In 2019 La Trobe was 462nd globally (up from 498th in 2018) and 145th in the field of Social Sciences (up from 173rd in 2018).
La Trobe ranks well for employability, as demonstrated in the 2018/2019 QS Graduate Employability Rankings in which the University ranks 14th in Australia and fourth in Victoria (and in the top 300 universities globally).6 For graduate employment rate – the number of graduates in full or part-time employment within 12 months of graduation – La Trobe ranks ninth in Australia and 129th in the world. La Trobe’s reputation amongst employers is further demonstrated with our graduates rated second among Victorian universities and eighth nationally by Australian employers7 for overall satisfaction in the 2017 Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) Employer Satisfaction Survey with a rating of 86.6 per cent.
We’ve also secured our position among the world's elite institutions, featuring 39th in the world in sports-related subjects, and in the top 100 global universities for nursing, archaeology, philosophy plus hospitality and tourism management related subjects.8,9
La Trobe’s location also means we’re well-placed for continuing research success. Melbourne is ranked third among the world’s best student cities,10 and Australia is rated third in the world for higher education system strength .11
La Trobe University is a trusted and respected research partner to industry and government and our future is looking brighter than ever.
- Times Higher Education (THE), 2019, World University Rankings 2020; Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), 2019, Ranking Web of Universities
- Australian Research Council, 2019, Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) Outcomes 2018
- Times Higher Education (THE), 2019, World University Rankings 2020
- ShanghaiRanking Consultancy, 2019, Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), 2019, QS World University Rankings 2020
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), 2019, Graduate Employability Rankings 2019
- Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT), 2019, 2018 Employer Satisfaction Survey [PDF, 1698KB]
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), 2019, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019
- ShanghaiRanking Consultancy, 2019, Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), 2019, Best Student Cities 2019
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), 2018, Higher Education System Strength Rankings 2018