Mr Luke Benjamin Gahan B.Soc.Sci, B.Arts (Hons)
PhD Candidate, Casual Lecturer & Tutor
College of Science, Health and Engineering
Psychology and Public Health
- T: +61 0 0421208219
- E: email@example.com,au
B.Soc.Sci, B.Arts (Hons) Swinburne University
Membership of professional associations
The Australian Sociological Association, BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group, The Internation Sociological Association (ISA), The ISA Research Committee on Family Research, The Australian Association for the Study of Religion, National LGBTI Health Alliance
Accademic Associations Positions
- Co-Convenor of The Australian Sociological Asociation (TASA), Families Relationships and Gender Thematic Group (2014 - )
- Post Graduate Representative, The Australian Sociological Association (TASA), Sociology of Religion Thematic Group (2012)
- Professor Anthony Smith Conference Attendance Award (2013), La Trobe University
- Aspiring Academis Bursary (2012), British Sociological Association Sociology of Religion Study Group
- Post Graduate Support Grant (2012 & 2011) La Trobe University
- Australian Post Graduate Award Industry (APAI) (2011-2014) La Trobe University
- Study Abroad Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2008) Swinburne University
- Victorian Director, National LGBTI Health Alliance (2014 - )
- Australian Gay and Lesbian Archives (ALGA) (2013 - )
Sexuality and Relationships
- Separation and Divorce, Same-Sex Parented Families, Religion/Spirituality and LGBTIQ People
- "The Histories of Sexuality", UNIB30004 Sex: Science and the community, Department of Zoology, University of Melbourne, (2012, 2013, 2014).
- "Contemporary Queer Issues & Activism", POLS30007 Change & Conflict in Australian Society, School of Social and Political Sciences, University of Melbourne, (2012)
- "Contemporary Queer Issues/Activism & Marriage Equality in Australia", POLS30007 Change & Conflict in Australian Society, School of Social and Political Sciences, University of Melbourne, (2013)
- "Separation and Divorce", HAS203 Family, Relationships and Sexuality, Faculty of Life and Social Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology, (2013).
- "Separated Same-Sex Parented Families: (In)Equality, Isolation & Resilience", School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, RMIT University, (2013, 2014).
- "Introduction to Sociology", SOC1SAC, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University (Bundoora), (2015).
- "Families, Relationships and Sexuality", HAS203, Faculty of Life and Social Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology, (2013).
- "Same-Sex Desire: From God to Genes", UNIB20016, School of Historical and Philosophical Sciences, University of Melbourne, (2012, 2013).
- Gahan, L., & Jones, T. (Eds.). (2013). Heaven Bent: Australian lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex experiences of faith, religion and spirituality. Melbourne Australia: Clouds of Magellan.
- Gahan, L. (2011). 'The ins and outs of marriage (and divorce)'. In V. Marsh (Ed.), "Speak Now: Australian perspectives on same-sex marriage" (pp.61-69). Thornbury, VIC: Clouds of Magellan.
- Gahan, L., Jones, T., Hillier, L., (2014) An Unresolved Journey: Religious Discourse and Same-Sex Attracted and Gender Questioning Young People, Research in the Social Scientific Study of Religion, Vol 25 pp202-229.
- Hillier, L., Jones, T., Monagle, M., Overton, N., Gahan, L., Blackmen, J. and Mitchell, A. (2010). Writing Themselves In 3: The Third National study on the sexual health and wellbeing of same sex attracted and gender questioning young people, ARCSHS, La Trobe University, Melbourne.
- Barrett, C., Gahan, L., Mitchell, A., Allen, J., McLaren, S., and Tinney, J. (2010). Everyday Angels: Celebrating the achievements of staff working in aged care. ARCSHS, La Trobe University, Melbourne
Book Reviews in Academic Journals
- Gahan, Luke. (2013). "Being Gay, Being Christian: You Can Be Both, by Stuart Edser", Gay & Lesbian Issues and Psychology Review, Vol 9(1), pp64-66.
- Gahan, Luke Benjamin. (2012). "Queer spiritual spaces: sexuality and sacred places: by Kath Brown, Sally R. Munt and Andrew K.T Yip", Culture, Health & Sexuality, Vol 14(2) pp237-239.
- Gahan, Luke Benjamin. (2012) "Sexuality, religion and the sacred: bisexual, pansexual and polysexual perspectives: edited by Loraine Hutchins and H. Sharif Williams", Culture, Health & Sexuality, Vol 14(10) pp1229-1231
Conference Papers & Posters
- Malta, S., Kirkman, L., Pallotta-Chiarolli, M., Gahan, L. (2014) From early adulthood to later life: Redefining the boundaries of new intimate relationships across the life span. Round Table Presentation at the International Association for Relationships Research, Melbourne, Australia.
- Gahan, L. B. (2013). Separated same-sex parented families: (In)equality, isolation and resilience. Presented at: 'Our Bodies, Our Minds - Health In Difference 2013: the 8th National LGBTI Health Conference', LGBTI Health Alliance, Melbourne, Australia.
- Gahan, L. B. (2013). Understanding resilience and experiences of separation in same-sex parented families 理解同性伴侶家庭解組的復原力和經驗.Poster Presentation at the International Sociological Association (ISA) Seminar of the ISA Research Committee on Family Research RC06, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. (Click here for pdf copy)
- Gahan, L. (2012). Understanding resilience and experiences of separation in same-sex parented families: Preliminary Findings. Presented at the Australian Sociological Association (TASA) annual conference, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Gahan, L. and Hillier, L. (2012). ‘I will be married in the eyes of God’: Emerging homopositive, same-sex marriage, and parenting discourses are providing marginalized same-sex attracted young people (SSAY) in Australia with new belongings and connectedness to their religion. Presented at the British Sociological Association (BSA) Sociology of Religion Study Group (SOCREL) annual conference, University of Chester, United Kingdom.
- Gahan, L. and Hillier, L. (2011). Will God get me through?: Religion and the wellbeing of same-sex attracted young people (SSAY) in Australia. Presented at The Australian Sociological Association (TASA) annual conference, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Gahan, Luke. (2013). "Keep Family Values Out Of Same-Sex Marriage", New Matilda, February 20, 2013
- Gahan, Luke Benjamin. (2012). "Time to ask the hard questions: The problem with state same-sex marriage", The Stirrer, December 20, 2012
- Gahan, Luke Benjamin. (2012). "Are we biting the hand that feeds us?", The Stirrer, September 24, 2012
- Work, Love, and Play: Understanding resilience and experiences of separation in same-sex parented families (2011-2014)
- Writing Themselves In 3 (2010) - research and publication.