Skip to content
Disturbed or hostile person
If confronted by a violent or disturbed person
- Remain calm, do not confront the person and do not do or say anything that may encourage further irrational behaviour.
- Try to maintain a safe distance from the person, if possible keep furniture between the two of you.
- Try to ensure that your exit route is not blocked by the person, and position yourself to quickly leave the area when necessary.
If a violent or disturbed person is in the vicinity
- Stay out of sight of the intruder and make as little noise as possible.
- If practical, or if ordered to do so - put in place lockdown procedures.
- Contact your campus security/emergency response.
- If there is no answer call emergency services on 000. Try to call security again to inform them of the emergency.
- Follow the instructions of relevant emergency services personnel, campus security/emergency response and campus emergency control personnel.
- Evacuate the building only if instructed to do so by emergency services personnel, campus security/emergency response personnel, and assist with the evacuation of disabled occupants.
- If evacuation is ordered, move to the nominated evacuation assembly area, and do not leave the evacuation assembly area until advised to do so.
- After the incident has been made safe complete an incident report.
Download a procedure diagram