Aiia Maasarwe Research Scholarship
This prestigious scholarship is offered in memory of Aiia Maasarwe. It covers a full scholarship (living stipend and complete fee remission) for a graduate researcher for the duration of course. The scholarship will cover a course of study that explores improving the safety of women and girls, with a preference for a focus on public transport safety.
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- a La Trobe Research Scholarship for up to four years, with a value of up to $35,000 per annum, to support your living costs (2019 rate)
- a fee-relief scholarship for up to four years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University
- opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers and have access to our suite of professional development programs.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- be a domestic or international graduate researcher (if you're an undergraduate student, see the Aiia Maasarwe Scholarship)
- be a graduate researcher who is researching improving the safety of women and girls, with a preference for a focus on public transport
- have a Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline completed within the last ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above, or- an Honours degree, Masters’ by coursework or ungraded Masters’ by research degree completed within the last ten years where you achieved a weighted average mark of 70 or above across any coursework subjects; AND any of the following assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above:
- a research thesis of approximately 15,000-20,000 words, or
- the degree includes a written research component comprising at least 3/8 of one year, or
- you are the lead author of a peer-reviewed publication or other research published within the last ten years.
All applicants must evidence financial disadvantage.
The successful recipient will also:
- be required to provide a brief written report to the donors and family of Aiia Maasarwe each year on their activities and progress in their chosen course or field of study
- be required to attend joint promotional events or participate in promotional activities in keeping with the spirit of the scholarship as reasonably required between the donors and the family of Aiia Maasarwe and La Trobe University
- maintain satisfactory academic progress.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this scholarship, follow these steps:
- review details on how to apply for PhD candidature
- to identify a potential supervisor, submit an enquiry using our online enquiry system, indicating that you wish to be considered for this Scholarship. We will direct this to the appropriate La Trobe staff member
- when you have received in-principle agreement for supervision, complete and submit your application to the La Trobe Graduate Research School (email@example.com) by 6 December for admission into La Trobe’s PhD program, indicating you wish to be considered for this scholarship.
Who to contact for further information
Graduate Research School, GRS@latrobe.edu.au