International students

If you are an international student the La Trobe International (LTI) office can answer many questions you may have about your visa and immigration status, as well as study at La Trobe and living in Australia.


Student visas are issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Visas often require you to:

  • Be enrolled full time and report on your progress (to your Research Progress Panel) every six months
  • Advise the University within seven days of any change of address (condition 8533).

The DIAC student visa page has more information.

Change in circumstances

The University is obliged to notify DIAC if students breach visa conditions, change courses, or discontinue their studies.

If you need to take leave from study, or extend or suspend your candidature, it is important to discuss what you plan to do with LTI staff to make sure it is allowable within your VISA conditions.

Difficulty with fees

If you experience financial difficulties that affect your ability to pay your tuition fees on time, you can apply for an extension to payment before the fees are due.

More information

For more information contact La Trobe International:


  • Within Australia: 1300 135 045 (select option 2)
  • Outside Australia: +61 3 9479 1993 (select option 2)

    Ask a question