How to apply for on-campus student accommodation
Before you apply, we recommend that you read through the information below so you are familiar with the application criteria and process.
To apply for on-campus accommodation, you must:
- be intending to enroll in tertiary education at any education provider, this can be as a part-time or full time student.
- be willing to comply with all residential policies and guidelines including the Rules of Residence, Resident Handbook and your Residential Agreement.
Applications for on-campus accommodation are competitive. We encourage new students to apply as soon as possible.
Applications open from Open Day (usually early August).
When applying, you will be asked to name your preferred residence/s.
- Undergraduate students between 18-24 tend to live in Chisholm, Glenn and Menzies or the North and South Apartments.
- Postgraduate and mature age students usually prefer Chisholm College or the North and South Apartments.
- Apartment style living is available in the North and South Apartments and Glenn College.
- Hillside, Villas, Terraces and Units are primarily aimed at undergraduate students.
Additional preference options
Quiet and alcohol free areas
Quiet and/or alcohol free areas are available within some residences. Allocation of these areas is based on demand and designated areas are subject to change.
If you are applying for accommodation at multiple La Trobe campuses, you will need to submit two separate accommodation applications.
Once you have accepted your study offer from the University, you can proceed with accepting your offer of accommodation for your preferred campus and decline your non-preferred accommodation offer.
How to apply
Once you have decided that you wish to live in on-campus accommodation you must:
New applicants and returning residents
You must register via the La Trobe, UniLodge website.
- Provide your full name in the same order as they appear on your passport, driver’s license or birth certificate.
- Use your registered email in all correspondence with us.
- You must complete all questions on the application form in full. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If you have your La Trobe University ID number please enter it at the time of application. If you do not have it yet, send it to email@example.com as soon as you do.
Your application does not guarantee placement in accommodation or in your preferred residence. Applications will be reviewed upon submission by the Living at La Trobe team.
Accepting an offer of accommodation
- Successful applicants must accept their offer via email prior to move in day, otherwise it will be automatically forfeited and the offer cancelled.
Prior to offers going out
- You may change your preferences prior to offers going out by contacting the Living at La Trobe team via email and requesting a change in preference. In all correspondence, please provide your full name and registered email.
After you've submitted your application, learn the next steps and how to accept your offer.
- Application date is considered when sending an offer.
- The bond detailed in the letter of offer must be paid as part of the acceptance process along with the completion of the online induction modules.
- You will need to upload a passport-style digital photo during the online acceptance. The photo should only be of your head and neck, just like a passport photo, and be a clear good quality photo of yourself against a plain background, without hats, sunglasses.
- Your online accepted Conditions and Rules of Residence (within the online induction modules) is a legally-binding document and you must ensure that you understand all the contractual conditions.
- Your offer will lapse if we do not receive all necessary documentation.
Withdrawing an application or cancelling an offer prior to accepting
If you have applied but no longer require accommodation for any reason, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your offer.
If you have accepted your offer of accommodation online and wish to cancel, do so by emailing email@example.com.
If you wish to vacate residence once you have arrived, you must complete a departure form. Cancellations fees apply.
Living at La Trobe prides itself on fostering an inclusive and diverse living and learning environment, however we do understand that residential life is not a fit for everyone. As a result, we actively encourage all students to discuss their specific circumstances, and the reasons they may have for wishing to vacate, with a Residential Services staff member prior to submitting a departure form.