Fares and Zones

Myki is the ticketing system used on most public transport services in Victoria.

Myki is a durable, plastic smart card which stores value and can be used over and over again. Keep your myki topped up and you'll always be ready for travel.

Each time you travel on a train, tram or bus you must 'touch on' and 'touch off' at the myki reader. The exception to this is when travelling on a tram around Melbourne - you will only need to touch off if your whole trip is within Zone 2 (see maps).

You can apply for a refund of any unused myki money, unused myki pass or part used myki pass at any time, more information can be found on the PTV website

Public transport zoning (Melbourne)

Melbourne public transport zones changed from January 1 2015, the whole network is now classed as Zone 1.

This means you pay one price to travel to/from La Trobe University and beyond.

If all your travel is still within the old Zone 2, then it will be even cheaper to travel.

Student concessions

Eligible students for the Victorian Public Transport (VPT) concession card will automatically be emailed a pre-filled application form to their La Trobe student email account.

More information can be found in StudentOnLine.

Since 2016 international and New Zealand undergraduate students (not postgraduate) enrolled in full time study will be able to purchase a half-price annual public transport for the zone/s in which you study for travel on tram, train and bus services.

To be eligible you must:

  • be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate course (at least 45 credit points per half year) and
  • have a valid student card

To apply for an iUSEpass or a Zone 13 iUSEpass (Bendigo):

  1. Apply online to request an iUSEpass code
  2. within ten working days, we will send an iUSEpass code to your La Trobe email address
  3. go to the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) website and follow the instructions to buy your pass using the code
  4. upload a current photo, provide a postal address and payment details
  5. PTV will mail your iUSEpass to you.

Note: New Zealand students who hold Australian Permanent Residency while enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course are eligible for the domestic student concession and should not apply for an iUSEpass.

Further information on zones (including regional zones) is on the Public Transport Victoria website.