Choose to Reuse
The Reusable Revolution
La Trobe Sustainability are launching a reusable crockery program in the Agora, at our Melbourne (Bundoora) campus from Semester 1, 2023.
The Reusable Revolution is supported by the Circular Economy Reuse Pilots Fund, delivered by Sustainability Victoria under the Victorian Government’s circular economy policy, Recycling Victoria: a new economy.
The Reusable Revolution project embeds La Trobe University's commitment to circular economy principles; reusing crockery keeps these products in circulation for longer, versus their single-use counterparts which are used once and then sent to landfill.
How does The Reusable Revolution work?
- Choose to reuse: ask for reusable crockery (cups, bowls, plates or cutlery) when you order your meal from one of our participating retailers.
- Place your dishes on trolleys: once you’ve finished your meal, place your dishes onto dedicated collection trolleys available around the Agora. Trolleys are located at the four corners of the Agora, and also in the Agora Theatre building.
- Dishes are cleaned: your dishes will be taken to the Dish Wash Hub to be cleaned.
- The revolution continues: the clean dishes are returned to our Agora vendors.
Who is participating?
The following vendors are participating:
- Café Spice
- Bachelor of Coffee
- Fuel Juice Bar
- House of Cards
- Mamak Rice and Noodle Bar
- Grafali's Coffee Roasters and;
What are the benefits?
The Reusable Revolution will:
- Reduce waste by replacing single-use cups and dishes
- Cut out the resource heavy production and transport of disposable containers
- Provide us with a nicer dining experience (so long, soggy plates!)
- Contribute to a campus-based circular economy
Takeaway packaging will still be available from all Agora retailers.
Water bottles and drinking fountain
Bottled water can have negative impacts on both human health and the environment. Luckily in Australia we have some of the best tap water in the world which is perfectly safe to drink.
La Trobe has water fountains installed across our campuses to allow students and staff to refill and stay hydrated for free, so bring a reusable bottle and save some money and the environment by refilling. Check out this map of water fountain locations on our Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus.
Reusable bottles also help us avoid packaging waste on campus – win-win!
If you spot an issue with a water fountain on campus, please log a maintenance request to get it fixed.