Work Recognition

Prior work experience is often taken into consideration for entry to undergraduate courses at La Trobe.

Professional and work experience should be sufficient to demonstrate readiness for higher education. The University use the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations and the Australian Qualifications Framework to establish your skill level to assist in determining your eligibility.

La Trobe will consider your skill level and duration of your work experience when assessing your application, but at least one year of full time (or equivalent) work experience is required for this to be considered.

Please refer to details about entry requirements on our Course Finder page to determine if the course/s you wish to apply will consider your work experience.

International students should contact La Trobe International for information on eligibility based on work experience.

For postgraduate courses, details of work experience that may be considered are also shown on the relevant Course Finder page.

What you require

Check the 'entry requirements' information for your chosen course(s) to see if work experience is applicable to you.

Contact us on 1300 135 045 to discuss your options.

You will need documentation to verify your employment and duration. Ask relevant employer/s for a statement of service which includes:

  • the name of your employer and their signature on a company letter-head
  • a statement outlining your length of employment and duties.

How to apply

  1. Check the 'how to apply' information for each course to see if applications are currently open.
  2. Complete the Personal Statement form with your application and attach a Statement of Service

Undergraduate Direct applicants: Please go to

VTAC applicants: Submit the Personal Statement to VTAC.

UAC applicants: Complete the UAC Personal Information Form.