Barrie Winzar Memorial Bursary
Barrie was a fourth generation Fosterville resident who was baptised and confirmed at St Andrews Fosterville and completed his primary education at the Fosterville State School. He attended and graduated from Bendigo Teachers College and was assigned to a Grade 3 class at Elmore Primary School before being reassigned to Riddell's Creek. Barrie taught at various schools across Victoria and Nauru, before being appointed as principal of the White Hills Primary School where he remained until his retirement in 1993. In his time at White Hills, Barrie championed the construction of a new school, where they named the assembly hall after him and created a BJ Winzar Citizenship Award for students. A fine teacher and mentor to many, he left a lasting impression on all those who he taught.
The Barrie Winzar Memorial Bursary is administered by the Bendigo Tertiary Education Anniversary Foundation (BTEAF) and has been established to provide financial assistance to a full time second year and third year Bendigo Bachelor-level student to enable them to take advantage of opportunities that arise during their studies.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be completing the second or third year of any Bachelor degree at the Bendigo Campus full time in 2024
- Have successfully completed the first year of their course with a minimum WAM of 65
Recipients of the scholarship shall be selected by the University based on their:
- Displayed academic merit
Preference will firstly be given to students whose home address falls within the following areas:
- Kamarooka 3570
- Lockington 3563
- Rochester 3561
- Elmore 3558
- Barnadown, Goornong 3557
- Toolleen, Axedale, Wellsford, Bagshot, Longlea, Kimbolton 3551
- Knowsley, Heathcote South 3523
- Barfold, Glenhope 3444
- Tooborac 3522
Preference will secondly be given to students who can provide evidence of financial disadvantage, significant caring responsibilities and/or personal hardship.
The successful recipient will
- allow their name to be published as the recipient of the bursary
- be willing to engage with the donor of the bursary for publicity purposes
- maintain a full time study load
- remain a resident within the specified areas.
How to applyPlease complete the online application form.
Applications will be assessed after the closing date.
Who to contact for further information
Scholarships Office, email@example.com